Deaf airline passengers seek captioned entertainment

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Sep 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2013/09/28/airlines-deaf-entertainment/2811259/

Andrew Phillips is frustrated by flying, but not just for the usual reasons.

Despite technology available now, Phillips, who is deaf, finds most in-flight entertainment doesn't have captioning so that he can enjoy it with other passengers.

"In my opinion, the airline industry has done a terrible job of making their in-flight entertainment options accessible to the deaf and hard of hearing community," Phillips, who is policy counsel for the National Association of the Deaf, told a Senate hearing recently. "It really bothers me that when I fly other countries' airlines, I am often able to watch movies with English subtitles."

Read More: http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2013/09/28/airlines-deaf-entertainment/2811259/

iolaire, Flyer1976 and uggboy like this.
  2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:

Are the distributors/suppliers of entertainment for the airlines here all different ?

uggboy likes this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, while I am sympathetic I have to say that even if cc it might not help. On SQ first with large personal screen the captions are often so small that I can't read them - can't imagine trying to read them on old overhead screens or small seatback screens (yes I have terrible vision, even corrected)
    A better solution might be to bring your own entertainment as so many are now doing b/c the entertainment on many airlines is quite limited (or we fly so much that we've seen everything 3x :()

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they are.

There was a proposal a few years ago to require CC on movies but the industry fought it, claiming undue burden. At that time the enforcement was delayed with the industry promising to cooperate "soon" but that hasn't really happened yet and the US regulators are getting restless again. Interestingly enough, one of the main stumbling blocks is that the studios and IFE systems manufacturers cannot agree on which CC standard they want to use for the implementation which is what is holding things back at this point. There are a couple different industry working groups and they meet from time to time but progress is slow.

anileze and iolaire like this.
  5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:

I learn something new everyday :) Thanks !

uggboy likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    My pleasure. I only recently learned about it at all. I was working at a conference (APEX Expo) and one of my assignments was to cover a session led by the chairs of one of the trade groups. They are debating things like whether the CC should be in bitmaps or XML and how to best render it across any device given the wide variety of IFE systems out there today. Plus, there is a cost to adding the text in, though that has come down dramatically as the vendors have shifted to more modern digital formats and new releases are being produced with that text from the get-go rather than retrofitting it in.

anileze likes this.