"De facto" award mileage increases to/from Hawaii

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by RichardInSF, Mar 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been checking awards to/from the Hawaiian islands in August, admittedly in peak season.

What is interesting is that there are still some outbound awards from LAX/SFO available but basically no return awards. I am wondering if this is a backdoor way to increase the saver mileage to Hawaii by 50% (60k miles for the RT vs saver award of 40k). Any thoughts?

2. nycwas

nycwas Active Member

Status Points:
    Book two OW awards? If you're on CO, transfer miles to UA to do so.

3. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booking two OW awards is of no help if all the Hawaii-LAX/SFO saver award categories are zeroed out, as I mentioned in my original post. Yields exactly the same result.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Are you searching HNL/OGG/LIH/KOA - SFO/LAX and also the US Airways flights to PHX?

5. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make sure you're also looking at the Continental HNL-LAX flight; in searching for economy saver awards (with 1k inventory available), I was able to get saver awards HNL-LAX most days in August (the 8 days I wasn't able to see saver award space: 8/9, 8/10, 8/13, 8/14, 8/16, 8/20, 8/21, 8/23). Some of those available days were on United metal, a bunch were on Continental metal.

Don't forget ITO-SFO/LAX (also Continental when searching united.com) which is supposed to start mid-June I think.

6. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could also consider a return portion on AC, HNL-YVR-SFO. Don't know whether there is availability on the dates you need, but it's worth checking.

7. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does that not count as cabotage?

8. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you are right ... unless those flights are available as a UA codeshare. Maybe not even then, I'm not really sure of the exact cabotage restrictions.

Separate tickets SFO-YVR and YVR-HNL would work but that doesn't solve the OP's problem.