DCA TSO misconduct with my 16yo

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by aviators99, Jul 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. aviators99
    Original Member

aviators99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I advised that my son opt out of the MW machine last week and informed the TSO that I would be videoing the patdown. The supervisor informed me that it would be fine for me to video it, "as long as I don't get the TSO's face or badge number in the video". I said fine, but it really wasn't possible to avoid getting both in the video from the place where he said I could stand. He kept looking at my screen and telling me that I had to "stop getting his face in". I tried to comply with that but paid more attention to getting what I wanted on video.

The supervisor insisted on engaging in conversation with me during the time, and in full disclosure, I was not very nice to him. I even referenced my concern for my stuff being stolen by the TSA. It was difficult to remain cool, as I watched my 16 year old being inappropriately touched by a TSO.

At the end of the patdown, I stopped recording, and then the TSO said to my son: "Now, I had to do an extra thorough patdown on you [pointing over to me]. Normally, this is like 'bing, bang, boom' and it's done."

I immediately asked for the FSD. 15 minutes later a TSA manager came (in plain clothes). I asked him for the FSD. He told me that he was "unavailable". I asked him to confirm that he understood that I was asking for the FSD and he is refusing to get him. He asked me to hang on and left for about 5 minutes. He came back and said he was unavailable.

With nothing else to do, I told the manager what happened. He told me that it was inappropriate, and that he would "take appropriate action". I was straightforward with him, and let him know that I was not nice to the TSOs, but retaliation against a 16yo is unacceptable, especially when it involves physical contact with him. I asked him for the TSO's name and he gave it to me.

What, if anything should I do next?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd start by not video taping every interaction with the TSA. It is no surprise to me that the TSO was 100% "by the book" in performing the pat-down - an action you are calling retaliatory - when they know someone is itching for an opportunity to make an example out of them.

3. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Videotaping a TSO will certainly put them on "the defensive" ;) but the "now I'm going to patdown you" (the op who was videotaping) can be construed to be retaliatory if the patdown was called for solely because the op was videotaping and for no other "security reason" and (without knowing any more information) I think that's what the op is getting at

4. aviators99
    Original Member

aviators99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No. I'm getting at the fact that the TSO said he did a much more thorough patdown because I was videoing. Either it's retaliatory, or he's saying that normally they don't do a thorough patdown. Either way, he's admitting to misconduct.

The fact that he would grope a 16yo longer than usual for any reason is disgusting.

And I don't "videotape every interaction". Just the ones where they are touching my child.

5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP was guilty of "contempt of screener." What's laughable is that there is no "badge number" that physically appears on a TSA screener, it's their name plate and a SIDA badge.

Supervisor's actions came over as trying to distract OP from original task, which is within the rules, but a trick nonetheless.

TSA screeners, and supervisors, get edgy when they're being held accountable, especially videotaped. I'd bet Aaron Rodgers' yearly salary that the screener knew exactly what he/she was doing when switching from the standard pat-down to the "resolution" pat-down.

And what I meant by "knowing what they were doing," he/she knew there was no rule against what he/she was doing. AND he/she knows he/she was getting the OP's blood to boil and getting the OP to keep a copy of it as a video souvenir.

By the way, if you want to drive a TSA screener nuts, just do what they ask and not say a word. It sounds so "nothing," but I have found, first hand, that some of them get really angry when you don't verbally reply to them.

6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmmm, the part where the OP said he tapes every interaction with the TSA seems to be missing from the OP's post.

7. nathan.anthony82

nathan.anthony82 Active Member

Status Points:
    The TSO was more than likely trying to make the pat down look good or appropiate, if you have ever been in the military than you should know the term dog and pony show which means they just want to make it look good.