DCA to IAD

Discussion in 'Washington, DC' started by picosam, Oct 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. picosam

picosam New Member

Status Points:
    Hello all,

I already saw the other thread about arriving at IAD and leaving from DCA; my issue is the inverse! My plane lands in DCA (from JFK) on a Monday at 4:35pm, and another one leaves (international flight) from IAD at 6:55pm.

Which would you recommend as the best method of transportation at that time on a Monday? I hope I'll actually make it...

Thanks!

Kalboz, thrashsoundly and MX like this.
  2. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    My suggestions, but someone from the DC area may have more options. Not sure how much luggage you will have.

My friends recently took the metrorail and the washington flyer bus.

The 5A bus will also take you to the airport http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/dc/05a.pdf?n

thrashsoundly likes this.
  3. IMBART

IMBART Member

Status Points:
    Having lived in the area for the past decade plus I can laugh and say I have been there. A cab is your best bet unless you want to chance taking the Metro to the Vienna stop and hope you can catch a cab there. You are going to be very tight on time so if you can catch an earlier flight into DCA I would encourage that.

thrashsoundly and KENNECTED like this.
  4. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    That time of day is really tough for traffic in the area. You'll cut it close no matter what method you take. It'll sure be nice when the metro will be open all the way to Dulles, but even the metro at peak times will take you an hour out to Vienna.

They should have helicopter service between the two airports.

KENNECTED likes this.
  5. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    What time does your international flight say you need to arrive/board?

6. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:

Taxi is really the only feasible option with that timing. Metro to West Falls Church takes roughly 45 minutes, followed by 35 minute Washington Flyer bus ride (but that bus isevery half hour). The 5A bus is worse, since it is every 40 minutes or so and takes an hour (but you need a minimum of 20 minutes to get to it.) And security at IAD on a Monday evening can also be slower than it needs to be.

7. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would not check baggage. I would have a back up plan for not making it. At that time of the day getting there will probably be cutting it really close. You are landing and trying to move at the worst time of the day. I commute from Alexandria (15 minutes closer to Dulles) to near Dulles and it takes me 50-65 minutes to get to and from work. Make sure you tell your cab driver you have a plane to catch and maybe they can take you on the HOV paid lanes on the 495 Beltway to the Dulles Access Road. Good luck. I personally would try to find another earlier flight.

8. dc_traveler
    Original Member

dc_traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the previous comment about trying to get on an earlier flight. JFK to DCA flights are often delayed, and it will be rush-hour traffic. I don't think it's impossible, but there is a real risk of missing the international flight. I think you need to take a cab or car service; other alternatives almost certainly won't work.

I don't know anything about your airline ticket situation, but if you can cancel your domestic leg without losing the international leg, you might consider flying JFK to IAD. A (much earlier) flight this Monday on JetBlue is $80, which is not much more than what a cab between DCA and IAD would cost you, plus you would avoid having to clear security if you are just carrying on.

Good luck!

Jenny & Curt likes this.
  9. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you cannot miss that leg, can you not beg your original carrier to switch to a JFK-IAD flight, arguing MCT and anything else you can think of?

dc_traveler likes this.
  10. dc_traveler
    Original Member

dc_traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a great idea and definitely worth trying! I assume you are on either AA or DL because those are the airlines that have the most JFK-DCA flights. I know that when there have been irregular operations, AA has been willing to switch me to JetBlue. DL has flights into both DCA and IAD so they should be able to make that switch too.