DCA-LGA/JFK weather

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Elusive, Feb 2, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Elusive

Elusive Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was originally booked today on an AA DCA-JFK Flight which was cancelled (no explanation given but assume weather) yesterday. I called the ExPlat line and got rebooked on US Airways Shuttle from DCA-LGA around the same time as my original flight.

We took off on-time but when we got close to LGA the captain announced that the plane would have to hold in the air while they waited for the runway to clear of ice. After 40 minutes circling the captain returned and said LGA was reporting at least another hour wait in the air and the plane didn't have enough fuel. So we were being diverted - back to DCA.

I got rebooked for later flights that kept getting cancelled, so I gave up and took the train instead. My US Airways flight officially appears as "cancelled" even though we took off.

Is there any chance I would get credit for the flight? How about the RT :p?

2. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    it never hurts to call and ask!

3. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ouch! man that sucks...

4. Elusive

Elusive Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea I wish they had diverted to Philly, at least the train ride would have that been much shorter. I bet for folks who live in DC must have appreciated that versus going to another airport.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The storm was from the West so PHL didn't fare much better.

I live in the suburbs but we got about 5" of snow, then maybe 1/2" of ice, then another 4-5" of snow on top. What I like to call some kind of Devil's Sundae.

I'm surprised they diverted back that far, but I guess that highlights that there's nothing else around when there's a large weather system at play.