DCA gets more flights, US Airways flys DCA-SAN

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Whendoublewidesfly, Mar 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Whendoublewidesfly

Whendoublewidesfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    (direct Copy from my blog)

Washington DC's Reagan International Airport is going to see some new flights to distances that were once limited to a perimeter of 1,250 miles. DCA is one of the very few airports in the US that has a perimeter rule and limits flight distance and currently only 12 flights operate beyond the perimeter. The reasoning for this is to keep the number of large jets from using the airport and to limit the noise pollution of jets. However language contained in the latest funding bill for the Federal Aviation Administration allows for add eight long-distance round-trip flights to be added from DCA. Four of these slots were awarded directly to the legacy Carriers (United, Delta, American, and US) with the condition that a shorter inter-perimeter flight would be changed to a longer distance flight. The remaining four slots will be create new landing slots and will be distributed by the DOT to smaller carriers who currently serve DCA.
    [​IMG]
    US airways add DCA - SAN

The Legacy Carriers were all quick to announce their flight plans. United Announced SFO-DCA, AA announced LAX-DCA, and Delta announced SLC-DCA. The only carrier that did not announce plans was US airways. While US airways operate the most flights outside the perimeter everyone including the DOT has been waiting patient for US Airways to announce their plans. US airways current serves Phoenix 3x a day and 1x daily to Las Vegas. However FINALLY today US Airways announced the will also be adding a flight to San Diego.

[​IMG]
    Flights by all Legacy Carriers
    Pending Applications for the other four daily round trips have been submitted by Alaska Airlines (Portland and San Diego), Jet Blue (Austin and San Juan, Pr), Sun Country (Las Vegas), Southwest (Austin), Virgin America (San Francisco), Frontier (Colorado Springs) and Air Canada (Vancouver).

[​IMG]
    Current flights from DCA
    I cannot be sure who will be awarded the four slots; however there is clear overlap now with both Alaska and Virgin's application. Both are trying to add service to cities that already have direct, nonstop service announced and confirmed by legacy carriers. Furthermore both Alaska and Frontier have a number of exemptions to the perimeter rules which might rules them out for the new slots. However, if I had my way, Alaska would win service to Portland, Jet Blue to Puerto Rico, Southwest to Austin and Air Canada to Vancouver. This would give direct access to the 4 largest cities/population hubs being requested and would spread out the new slots among a number of carriers.

[​IMG]
    My Projection

2. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points: