DCA consolidation to south area on 12 July 2012

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Jul 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being reported by a pretty reliable industry source that the DCA operations will consolidate on Tuesday. They're getting gates 14 & 16 from DL.

[​IMG]

I'm a big fan of this move. I love the old PClub location there and that checkpoint has TSA PreCheck. :cool:

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
  3. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The word around DCA some months ago was that the former P-Club would be expanded to its original footprint once ops were consolidated in that area. Any news on that front? I haven't been through DCA on United in a while so I may be a bit behind...

It really is a unique lounge, one of my favorites. Great views too.

ssullivan likes this.
  4. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the DL/US slot swaps at DCA and LGA this makes total sense.
    Everyone wins.

ETA: I really hope they don't move the UC to the current SkyClub location, as it is larger than the legacy sCO club. Although I'm not really sure how they could expand the existing UC and not sure it's large enough for the combined operation.

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Apparently it can be expanded beyond the check-in desk to the right as you're facing it there. Keeping that bit of local flavor would be awesome.

COFlyerCLE likes this.
  6. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The current club uses no more than 50-60% of the original restaurant space up there. The rest is divided by a wall that is glass on top, and is currently used as an exhibit gallery, which is accessible from the historic lobby area of the airport. So, yes, to the right of the check-in desk there is space. If you look up you can see through the glass portion of the wall and see how the ceiling design of the club continues on to the adjacent space.

7. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always hoped they would take over the gallery space. Both because it makes the cool club even cooler and because it makes it even more feasible to someday use the historic terminal if MWAA ever actually does something with it---as they keep saying they intend to do.

I know, I know, but a guy can dream.

ssullivan and Wandering Aramean like this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC these gates are the ones where you turn right after going through the DL security checkpoint, so I think it means that DL will continue to own the area straight ahead after security, including the gates that seem to be in a food court. At least one of these gates has been shared by DL and Alaska. I wonder whether Alaska is going to move to sharing DL's ramining gates in the DL area.

I certainly don't see DL giving up its SC location, which is convenient to its gates. Also, it's very crowded at prime business times. I don't see DL accepting less lounge space, nor space that isn't close to its VIP area up next to the SC.

9. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, although one of them, 16, is just past the restrooms, on the right side of the concourse, adjacent to the gates DL is not giving up.

10. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    MWAA will get to it around the same time they get to that permanent IAD C/D concourse. ;)

11. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having used DCA when that part of the terminal wasn't considered historic (well, it was, but there wasn't a more modern alternative) I really don't get very nostalgic about those days.

Although the "historic" terminal would be far better than the US Air Hanger 11 "interim terminal" that was utilized for the better part of a decade.

12. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I'm writing from the center pier, about to board AA to ORD. WTF has happened to premium security? What was once quite good has gotten dreadful.

Should I expect better at the South pier?

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The security area leading to the DL gates has an elite (SkyPriority) line, which is now also PreCheck. It's to the far left, with the entrance closer to the airplanes and tarmac than the regular security entrance. The elite line used to be at the far right, shared with the lane for handicapped passengers and crew, so something there could be big delays when they cut the line.

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then gate 14, which would be accessed from the main DL gate area and SC elevators, would be the one where you almost go through the security exit to walk there. This is the one that seems to alternate between DL and Alaska flights.

15. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, 14 is the one that was shared DL/AS.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  16. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm young(ish). I might live to see both happen. :-:

LETTERBOY likes this.