DC to Beijing - any advice

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by man on the move., Nov 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am scheduled on the dc to Beijing flight next month, any advice on the service, experiences, seat choices, etc.

14-15 hours in the plane is not going to be very fun, particularly in the back of the bus.... I couldn't get any availability for my dates on singapore air, this was the only option that could get me home by Christmas Eve.

2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you believe some others who swear that IAD-based crews are the worst, then there's your answer on the service aspect (though I don't subscribe to that, it's hit or miss IMO).

As far as seats go, you don't mention your status level, so this might not apply to you. Every day from 10 days out of the trip, even multiple times during the day, I'd check the seat maps to see if someone in an exit row for E+ was upgraded, so you can snag that person's seat.

If you have extra money sitting in between the couch cushions, UA will gladly take that in the form of a TOD upgrade. So, at check-in, you may be able to pay some money for an upgrade if you check-in online.

3. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a shame you couldn't do Air China... I flew them earlier this year on my Beijing trip and found it to be one of the best flying experiences I've ever had.

guberif and Flyer1976 like this.
  4. R&R

R&R Active Member

Status Points:
    Dress warmly and then some!

5. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Second that - was just there and it was 20 degrees f with solid 25 mph wind. Made things pretty chilly. And that was a "nice sunny day" for nov.

6. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did this trip to and from IAD in April. The crew was both warm (both ways) and culturally sensitive (one way)(there were some issues with non-US passengers not understanding about the seatbelt sign). I was lucky to be in the BF cabin, but I had friends who were in steerage who commented about the frequency of water distribution and availability of snacks in the back. I found that the time went by pretty quickly and that you could roam around the cabin to address fatigue without the f/a's wigging out "security" issues associated with pacing the cabin.

Flyer1976 likes this.