DC Gold automatic "business" redemption?

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by Globetrotter, Apr 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Globetrotter

Globetrotter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since there are no stickies here (and only 39 threads in total), I'm forced to ask a couple of newbie questions:

1. As a recent DC Gold member, I was under the impression that Golds automatically book into Business class (if available) when booking an economy award on a bmi flight. It's not working for me, however (I choose economy and it stays economy, despite seeing "I" availability on EF). On flights with Premium economy (what's the difference, by they way, since this is a Cairo flight), the system craps out entirely and restarts. How is this supposed to be done?
    2. Aren't Golds supposed to be able to choose their seat in advance from the "Manage My Booking" area? I don't see a link anywhere...
    Thanks in advance.

2. First off, don't book online - it's very often unreliable. But if you must, then book into business and they will deduct economy miles in the end, despite the confirmation suggesting otherwise. Think of this benefit as a discount, rather than an upgrade and you'll begin to understand.

Premium economy is just economy with different fare rules; one exception - flights operated on the A330, excluding Saudi Arabia. Since the A330 doesn't serve Cairo any more, that'll be why the system craps out. Like I said, don't book online.

Choosing seats again is unreliable and not always available on specific routes. Most people use Lufthansa.com to select their seats.

3. Globetrotter

Globetrotter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, GoldCircle! Your advice was spot on -- I was able to choose seats on Lufthansa.com. I'll call in for the booking, then (or do it online in Business, as you said).

Thanks again!