DC for the 4th of July - need hotel recommendations

Discussion in 'Washington, DC' started by viguera, Jun 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just put together an impromptu trip to meet down there with my sister and nephews for the holiday, and I'm wondering if anybody has hotel recommendations that might offer good views of the fireworks or a good place to hang out and enjoy the holiday.

I was eyeballing the Kimpton properties now that I'm done requalifying for IHG/Hyatt, but I'm not opposed to giving anybody else a try, within reason.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love Kimpton, and we had a great experience last Labor Day at the Hotel Monaco next to the International Spy Museum. I'd certainly recommend that, and it's relatively close to a lot of stuff.

3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Starting point should be where they live..... you don't want to spend a lot of time going back and forth.

That said, I like the HGI downtown -- near the Mall w/ a red line stop across the street

DTWBOB

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interestingly enough, Kimpton has some really, REALLY good rates using their promo/packages in the DC area for that time of year, so I booked 3 nights at the Helix.

It's more boutique-y than I'm used to, but if I'm going to put time into this chain then I need to start drinking the kool-aid and see where it takes me.

webdes03 likes this.
  5. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    The W is one of the few places that has a good view of the fireworks and the rooftop deck sells out. I would work on finding a hotel in walking distance of the Mall and actually go to the Mall and see the fireworks. It is something you should do at least once. The Monaco is in great walking distance of the Mall.

webdes03 likes this.
  6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Hyatt in Rosslyn or the Holiday Inn around the corner from it are walking distance to the Marine Corps Memorial - no worry about crowded trains or a long trip back to your hotel. There's an adjoining park around the Netherlands Carillon that is very popular for watching the fireworks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've also watched them from the Jefferson Memorial, though not really any hotels around there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was hoping to come back again this year but couldn't find a decent airfare or even an award ticket that worked.

7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Depending on your budget, I am a big fan of the St. Regis.

8. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good suggestion Tom. I have friends who live way out in the burbs and have gone there to watch because you can get on the metro faster than in DC proper. The only difference is you don't get quite the full experience without being closer to the noise from the fireworks. For some people that may be a positive. Another option in VA may be viewing from the Air Force Memorial. You may be able to walk there from the Residence Inn or the Ritz Carlton in Pentagon City.