Daytrip into the Swiss Alps: Mixture of transportation means

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by wanderlust (VFT), Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

wanderlust (VFT) Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, this is not a typical trip report. I mean not of the kind we know from other Frequent Flyer Forums. Yes, there a couple of pictures of airliners and even one of airline-food, but let me warn you: There are pictures of trains and landscape (from ground level ), too.

Being in the mood for both, a nice relaxing day AND aquiring 5k SM, took me for 6,5 hours into Switzerland. Or, to be more precise, into the Swiss Alps. It turned out to be a nice mixture of transportation means and it's my pleasure to let you take part:

Getting up early usually is not my idea of an appropiate beginning of a nice and relaxing day. Here it worked out for me: Even before sunrise I stood at the platform of my home town to catch a train to Duesseldorf, my chosen departure airport for today. I like the old compartments of German "Intercity Trains". In my opinion they offer the best possible comfort on "Deutsche Bahn" including a real "lie flat experience", at least if you don't have to share them, which very often works out for me.

[​IMG]

In Duesseldorf Train Station I run into an old train set of the "Rheingold", a famous luxury train having crossed the european mainland in different versions throughout the last century.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

DUS airport has very nice spotting facilities. Since the weather was nice I cut off some lounge time and spent an hour with the spotting geeks. A friendly KLM guy greets me.

[​IMG]

Finally HB-IJF comes in to take off again with me to Zuerich 90 min later.
    [​IMG]

KIXman, violist and sobore like this.
  2. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A visit in the DUS Lufthansa Business Lounge is nothing to write home about. So I was happy to board in time. Before take off I could take a "Spotting-The-Spotters-Picture" - too bad it was in back light.

[​IMG]

A little while after take off there were some nice views to Colgne:

[​IMG]

Catering was nothing to post about. You see the fish contamination? [​IMG]! Bloater at the very right!
    [​IMG]

After 50 min the weather forecast for Zuerich comes true: A fade to grey and continuous rain. Good bye Juliet Foxtrot...

[​IMG]

KIXman and lipton like this.
  3. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Interesting advertisments on the way outside:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The airport train station is easily accesible in ZRH and so it takes only little time to get to Zuerich main train station. The Interregio Train meant to take me into the Alps is waiting for me.
    [​IMG]

SBB equippes its Interregio trains on the Gotthard Route with observation cars in 1st class.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Junca likes this.
  4. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Weather stays grey in grey, which creates a very special athmosphere, for excample when we pass by Lake Lucerne.

[​IMG]

A Highlight on the northern ramp definitely is the village of Wassen and its famous church. To gain altitude (yes, trains do such things aswell) thew tracks are led in loops. This way you can see the church three times in three different angles. What a funny hopping from the window on one side to the one on the other!. Sometimes, when you just think to have the perfect foto position, an ignorant tree comes hopping into the pivture:

[​IMG]

After 01:40 IR 2271 reaches Goeschenen, my point of return for today. Right after the train station the famous "Gottharttunnel" begins:

[​IMG]

My rainy stay last 20 minutes. From the right a set of "Matterhorn-Gotthard-Bahn" appears. In steep passages it turns into a rack and pinion railway.

[​IMG]

KIXman, Bob Smolinsky and ThatJohn like this.
  5. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The first cars are reserved for a school excursion. Obviously they are alowed into the drivers cab in groups, which explaines the high density of people there.

[​IMG]

Rain has decreased in the meantime. Light conditions are improving, so let's trake another picture of the Wassen church. (Almost another ignorant tree...)

[​IMG]

Swiss Railraod System today is reliable and in time. Soon I'm back at ZRH airport. The unneeded time buffer allows me an hour in the Swiss C-Longe. Then I#M up to A08 and a bus transfer to the "Jumbolino" waiting for me.

[​IMG]

I don't like this type of aircraft. Even in C and with empty neighbour seats I feel like squeezed into something I don't belong into - a feeling I usually don't have in airplanes.

[​IMG]

After this picture the MdC asked me not to take further fotos. She called it "new company policy", which is absolutely rubbish, but I didn't want to argue.

After a 1:00 hour flight and a train ridfe of about the same lenght I was back at home.

What a perfect day this was!

KIXman, ThatJohn, Junca and 1 other person like this.
  6. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

Status Points:
    "D-AILI" is a friendly spotter from strforum. He took a picture of "Juliet Foxtrot" at the very moment I took the shot of the spotters (He gave me permission to publish the pictures here)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can you see me with my camera sticking to the 2nd window?

7. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice TR, thanks!

Did you survive entirely on airplane food during the entire trip?

8. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nope, I built up my stocks of swiss chocolate and Rivella arriving in ZRH...

9. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    excellent report. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Well done...

10. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Love this TR. Excellent job! Tschüss!

11. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Love the report!

12. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice one... So you passed my place ;-) If I'd known, I could've invited you up for a coffee or a glass of wine!

13. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice trip. How long did you have between flights?

14. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I had 6,5 hours between flights.

15. Scott Weinberg
    Original Member

Scott Weinberg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow!!! Nice TR!! I'm glad that you are so enjoyable flying same-day trip .I remember where we went over Swiss Alps and it was quite experience before.

16. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Taking a 5 hour train trip during 6.5 hours between flights would be risky just about anywhere else in the world.

17. baliparis
    Original Member

baliparis Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great report and pictures too!

18. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Trains on the Gotthard Route go every hour, so it was quite easy to minimize the risk:

In case of delay of the outgoing train I could have gotten off earlier than Goeschenen and still catch the train back. I was monitoring the times of the incoming trains: Incase of a delay there debaording earlier and catching an earlier train back to ZRH would have worked out aswell...

flospi likes this.
  19. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Next time you'll know... [​IMG]

flospi likes this.
  20. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent trip report! I loved seeing all the train photos.

21. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    swiss alps scenery is just so postcard perfect !