Dayton to Frankfurt - nested ticket? Is this ok to do?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Peanut, Jul 15, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Peanut

Peanut New Member

Status Points:
    Hi - my husband has been sent to Germany for work for 3 months. I am trying to find an economical way to fly there around August 14th to spend a couple weeks with him and come home around August 30th.

If I search Dayton to Frankfurt round trip I come up with US Airways flights for about $1625 that fly thru Philly.

BUT...I found that Philly has a SUPER $825 US Airways r/t to FRA flight once a day as a gateway airport. I can fly DAY to PHL for $250....SO....is there any reason I can't book TWO tickets and save all this money??? This would be $1075 plus some extra baggage fees if my credit card doesn't help me but I think I can get one free bag. Someone told me this was called "nesting" and that I may not be allowed to do it...why?

I called US Airways and they just kept quoting me the same $1625 rate...

Thanks!

MX likes this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should not be a problem. Two separate itineraries. You would need to pickup your luggage in PHL and transfer them to the FRA (international) leg. Make sure you have enough transfer time. Coming out of DAY you could land in F terminal and the FRA flight would depart out of A or A west ( a really nice:oops: walk!
    I do this kind of ticketing with UA every so often (for logistical reasons) and have not had a problem. But I try to have a day or more in the connecting city to cover the various possible delays.

MX likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not "nested" to the airlines; it is end-on-end and is generally OK, with the caveat that officially you're on separate trips and the airline doesn't have to help you if you're late to PHL and miss the PHL-FRA flight. That said, AA's policy is to provide such help and also I've NEVER had a problem with an airline being cooperative on such when it is the same carrier which creates the issue.

As for why it prices that way, the "O" fare for PHL-FRA-PHL specifically prohibits end-on-end ticketing which means it cannot be used to "assemble" the two fares together to make the trip you want. By doing it manually you're cheating that rule but, like I said above, you run a 99.999% chance of that being just fine. I would absolutely purchase it the way you've described and save the $600.

ETA: You will almost certainly be able to get the agent in Dayton to check the bags all the way through to Frankfurt. It is much easier in this case as it is the same carrier through. On the return if they balk at tagging it to Dayton when checking in at FRA it is less of an issue as you need to collect the bags in PHL on arrival anyways. ANd even if you pay an extra bag fee you're still saving a ton of cash.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    Dublin_rfk, MX and dhammer53 like this.
  4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    we have done it, and checked the luggage to the final destination.

As long as it is the same airline, like the previous poster said.

Dublin_rfk likes this.