Daytime Transatlantic Flights

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by TRHiker, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TRHiker

TRHiker Silver Member

Status Points:
    (from US East Coast for summer 2011)

What I've identified so far (times are approximate, and ignorning codeshares):
    JFK-LHR BA 8:00 19:40
    BOS-LHR BA 8:15 19:30
    YYZ-LHR AC 8:50 21:00
    ORD-LHR AA 9:05 22:45
    EWR-LHR CO 9:00 21:20
    EWR-LHR VS 8:00 20:00
    IAD-LHR UA 9:30 21.55 (flight seems to originate in ORD without a change in IAD?)

Additions noted:
    JFK-LHR AA 9:35 - 21:30 (an hour earlier in the Spring)
    BOS-LHR AA 8:55 - 20:40
    (Thanks, Gardyloo)

Have I missed any?

Thanks,

TRHiker

2. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    JFK-LHR AA 9:35 - 21:30 (an hour earlier in the Spring)
    BOS-LHR AA 8:55 - 20:40

The morning flights (usually out of JFK) are our preferred TATL method. Pretty well whacks jetlag for us.

3. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So do you go straight to your hotel and crash or are you awake for hours? I've never flown one of these and was wondering how difficult it would be to sleep that first night

Cheers

4. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've only been able to do this once. This is the best way to go. Get up butt early to catch a flight (I did 0600 DCA-BOS to the morning departure from there to LHR), stay away for the TATL leg, and crash as soon as you arrive. No issues in the morning...at least that was my experience.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    :
    Yes, we book a hotel at Heathrow, usually using Priceline (have never paid more than US$100 for a 4-star hotel, usually the Sheraton Skyline, Marriott, or Crowne Plaza.) By the time you go through I&C and take the (ugh) Hotel Hoppa Bus to the hotel, check in etc., it's around 10:30 - 11 UK time. Get a late bite in the hotel, and you're in bed by midnight or 1; get 6 or 7 good hours kip, and the next morning you feel like a local.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love flying this way. It is very easy to sleep that first night because you're not sleeping on the flight to Europe. Having to get up early to get to the airport; endure security; board the flight; read or watch movies or TV on flight; go through immigration; get luggage if checked in; go through customs; and then get to the hotel....it's not hard being tired after all of that and getting a good night's sleep. We might grab something to eat beforehand or just go to bed.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    that is my preferred way to arrive TATL instead of flying overnight. agree/second most of the comments here about getting there, eating and going to bed, usually by midnight/1am. works great IMO.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. ben
    Original Member

ben Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just pored over the Delta timetables (which appeared to include AF and KL) and I found nothing from ATL, DTW, or NYC that headed East from the US for a long haul, Africa included.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    that is my main issue with DL/Skyteam schedules, that don't do daytime TATL. seems odd when the other alliances offer a variety of flights.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. ben
    Original Member

ben Silver Member

Status Points:
    No kidding, I'd love those flights from my hometown of ATL. At least there is an 11:35pm ATL-CDG. I was on that flight five times last year. I can't imagine trying to get some sleep on the 6:00 pm flights (arr 6:00 am)

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt you'll ever see it from ATL. The flight is too long to be done in a time frame that meets the needs of sufficient passengers. An 8am departure from ATL would arrive at LHR somewhere after 23:00. With only O/D traffic (no connections available at either end) and the bad timing it just doesn't work.

If they really wanted to DL could launch one from JFK but they probably (rightfully so) see the more traditional use of their limited slots as more cost-effective.

I did the EWR-LHR daytime flight last June and we actually headed into town for a (very) late dinner and a hotel downtown before waking up in the morning and jumping right into our day there. It was pretty nice actually.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. Efrem
    Original Member

Efrem Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew AA's BOS-LHR day flight last month, not for the first time. I far prefer these. The only problem is that you need a free day, since (for me) it usually means leaving about twelve hours earlier than I otherwise would. Sometimes that works out. Sometimes it doesn't.

Don't take the Hoppa, at least not if you arrive at T1 or T3. Walk over to the Central Bus Station, ask the desk attendant which routes go to your hotel (they have a crib sheet that lists all the hotels with route numbers), and take the next of those to depart. The driver can tell you what stop to get off at for your hotel. (It might be just before the hotel, so you won't have seen it yet.) Free, and probably faster if you're not going to the first Hoppa stop.

sagefemme52 and jbcarioca like this.
  14. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've taken the free local bus; you're right - it can indeed be faster.

However some of the morning departures ex-USA arrive late enough that after I & C you're faced with night bus schedules. Plus, with anything more than a roller for luggage the local buses can be a pain.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. sagefemme52
    Original Member

sagefemme52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have done the daytime flights to LHR many times. I love arriving late evening, eating, then going to bed, and waking the next day on local time. BUT, I am now at the point where I dislike transiting through LHR so much, that red eyes are actually in some ways less painful! Plus, there are just so many more flight options. I wish there were other daytime transatlantic choices for arrivals from N. America.

16. Blur
    Original Member

Blur Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've done the daytime flights a few times but now I just take the overnights. The flight itself is pleasant enough because of the time but unless you are staying in London it's hard to connect anywhere else in the U.K. or Europe by the time you've arrived. Plus it's probably just me but being a bit of a night owl I can't get to sleep till about 4:00 a.m. U.K. time in the hotel so I feel just as bad the next day as I would catching a few hours sleep on the night flight to the LHR.