Day Trips from New Orleans Louisiana

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by Sweet Willie, Jun 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    A day trip Mrs Sweet Willie & I have enjoyed is to drive out and see/tour some of the great plantation homes. There are two that standout for us, Oak Alley & Laura Plantation.

Oak Alley being an example of an English plantation & Laura Plantation being an example of a Creole plantation, the two had very different customs which we found interesting.

Oak Alley: www.oakalleyplantation.com

Laura Plantation: www.lauraplantation.com

-
    We are hoping to get back down to New Orleans this fall, anyone have other day trip suggestions?
    -

rharrigill and uggboy like this.
  2. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bay St. Louis, MS is a nice, small, coastal town, wit a very small downtown. If there are special evening events going on, it can be a quiet break from the Big Easy.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  3. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    The plantations in and around St. Francisville are one of the best day trips you'll find from NOLA. The most noted of them is Oakley, where John James Audobon lived for a while.

The Gulfport/Biloxi area has some nice sites. Nothing spectacular, but it's a lovely, friendly area. I haven't checked on the status of Jefferson Davis' house in Biloxi since Katrina wiped most of it out, tragically. If it's been restored, it's a nice stop.

And of course, for a bit longer day trip, Mobile, AL is a beautiful city. There are quite a few ante-bellum homes that are well preserved in and around Mobile. Best known is Oakley--yes, it seems to have been a popular plantation name. The downtown area is small but pretty. The USS Alabama is an excellent tourist stop for anyone interested by naval or military history. For food in Mobile, there's Brick Pit Barbecue, which is my favorite barbecue anywhere--and yes, I've had some of the best in AL, GA, SC, NC, Memphis, and TX. Their pulled pork is the best I've ever had. Smoked at least 18 hours. And the banana pudding is also a must. There's also Felix's Fish Camp, which is located on the causeway across Mobile Bay, very close to the USS Alabama. Excellent seafood, done in pretty classic style for the central gulf coast with some creole flavors, but not quite the same as the true creole/cajun you find in NOLA.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ages ago, on our first trip to New Orleans, I do recall driving north across Lake Pontchartrain on the loooonnnngggg (23+ miles) causeway to dine at a restaurant La Provence in Lacombe. The restaurant was owned by Chef Chris Kerageorgiou who convinced me to try tripe again (after numerous other attempts I had made the decision to stop trying), what a fun night, he spent a lot of time at our table.

Now it appears La Provence is operated by the Chef John Besh group: www.laprovencerestaurant.com

autolycus likes this.
  5. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you like beer, you could travel north across Lake Pontchartrain again to Abita Springs and tour the Abita Brewery. Last I heard the tours are still free and you get to try a lot of different beers. Abita makes some of my favorite beers.

If you go to St. Francisville as someone else suggested, you could visit Myrtles Plantation, supposedly one of the most haunted places in America.

Sweet Willie likes this.