Day Tours from Paris to Normandy

Discussion in 'Europe' started by pittguy81, Nov 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. pittguy81

pittguy81 Active Member

Status Points:
    I will be in Paris for a few days next summer (2015) and would like to visit Normandy. I am leaning towards a day trip with a tour company as I really only have one day to dedicate to this excursion and I want to see as much as I can with my limited time. Yes, I know this won’t be enough time to see everything or really truly appreciate the experience, but it will have to do for now.

Has anyone used a tour company for day trips to Normandy from Paris?

danielwood and Newscience like this.
  2. how much money do you have like do you have 1000 for a day ?

3. danielwood

danielwood Gold Member

Status Points:
    My cousin used Viator to book a day-trip from Paris to Normandy. OK then.

4. pittguy81

pittguy81 Active Member

Status Points:
    Would like to keep the cost of the tour below 600 euros. That likely rules out a private tour guide based on my initial research.

5. pittguy81

pittguy81 Active Member

Status Points:
    I did see various tours offered through Viator. Do you happen to know which tour h/she went with?

6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are several other posts on this subject you might look at. Just search "Normandy" on Milepoint and you'll see several. I'm looking into this myself for early 2015. Good luck.

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Information on this is not too difficult to find. In particular if you are interested in Normandy as it relates to the D-day invasion. Take the train from Paris to Caen and the tours will pick you up and drop you off at the train station ( travel time about 2 hours if taking a direct train, one-way cost about 30Euros). The tour will run about $160 and takes 3-5 hours???

Note if you expect to include Mont St Michel (which is what most people mean when they think of Normandy) on that day trip it borders on being near impractical ( its well over an hour further away just driving.
    If the interest is non D-day battlefield I would suggest taking a train to Bayeux spend some time visiting the cathedral and the famous tapestries and taking a tour leaving from there on to Mont St Michel ... still a long day.

daninstl and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  8. pittguy81

pittguy81 Active Member

Status Points:
    I did a quick search first, but didn’t find anything about specific tour recommendations. I will go back through and check again more closely though this time around. Good luck in your search and report back on what tour you go with.

daninstl likes this.
  9. pittguy81

pittguy81 Active Member

Status Points:
    I agree, a lot of information is out there and easily found, but I was looking for specific tour recommendations as I had already done multiple Google searches before I reached out here. Thanks for the information on trains though. I hadn’t considered this option up until now. Since my focus will be strictly the D-Day invasion sites, this might be a great plan. Any particular tour company in Caen you would recommend?

10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    pittguy81 and daninstl like this.
  11. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
  13. pittguy81

pittguy81 Active Member

Status Points:
    As i indicated in my initial post, I completely understand that a one day tour won't do Normandy justice, but limited time and long list of things to see limits how much I can realistically take in. I hope to get back and explore the area again someday, but in the event I don’t, I need a tour that will give me the D-Day highlights in a day, specifically Omaha Beach, Point du Hoc and the American Cemetery at Colleville-sur Mer to pay my respects.