Day room, FCL, or go into the city for a 7 hour layover in FRA?

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Dave, Feb 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dave

Dave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mrs. Dave and I will be transiting through FRA with a 7 hour layover (arriving in LH F, departing in TG F). Any recommendations on what to do? We'll be arriving at 8am, and I was wondering if it was worth it to go to the Kempinski hotel for a day room (complimentary for F passengers, I believe). Thanks!

2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend going into town- it will be a nice break between flights.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too would go to the town.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I, too, would go into town, but I'd also make it a game-time decision. If you don't sleep well or are feeling off then take the day room. Otherwise, I'd take a quick shower in the arrivals lounge, grab a snack for the train ride and head into town to wander around and see things. You've got plenty of time to see some sights before heading back out to the airport and a lounge and then onward to BKK.

vbroucek likes this.
  5. gba
    Original Member

gba Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're not going to do both, I'd go into town, or head away from Frankfurt towards Mainz. 7 hours is just a little too long for me to spend in one small room, unless you're planning on spending most of the time asleep (which may make sense depending on your flight departure/arrival times and the time you arrive at your destination).

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm lame. Assuming I didn't grab much sleep on the overnight flight to Frankfurt I'd grab the day room for about four hours (though admittedly hardly enough time). To me it would be worth going offsite for a real bed and hotel room shower rather than using the first class lounges, and you can always use the lounge on your return for a snack before your flight if you find yourself peckish.

7. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is the procedure for requesting the day room? My wife and I have a similar layover (albeit in Munich) coming up and would like to crash for a couple hours, take a shower before heading into town.

8. Dave

Dave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the responses! Does anyone know if it's possible to get a complimentary dayroom at one of the airport hotels (instead of having to take a shuttle to the Kempinski)?

9. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    No.

10. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. cityboy340

cityboy340 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've done this before. Just contact the hotel (email usually works) and say you want to reserve a dayroom for <whenever> and you'll be a LH F customer. They'll ask you to present your LH F bp when you check in. Depending on what time your flight leaves, you can rest up and shower at the hotel etc, then nip back to the FCT (I'm assuming FRA) direct from the airport shuttle.

12. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's MUC, actually, but I assume the procedure is the same.

Thanks.

13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The nice point at MUC is that the hotel is directly connected to the airport terminal- no need for an airport shuttle.

14. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Interesting data point:

I wrote the hotel as suggested and they came back with an offer of a room at EUR180. I wrote back and indicated that I was arriving in first class on a Lufthansa flight and would like a complementary room. This was the response:

So, obviously I am going to pass on this at EUR180 as we really only wanted to use it for a couple hours, but I find it curious that there are clearly rooms available for day use but not at the complementary rate. I wonder how many rooms they release for LH F use...

15. NE Flyer

NE Flyer Active Member

Status Points:
    That's surprising; I assumed that LH paid Kempinski for the day rooms; I know that we didn't have much trouble booking the day room for use during our 12-14 hour layover at FRA.

16. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    First time I asked I got someone who wasn't aware of the offer. I pushed back, they apologized, gave me the room. Subsequently have had no problems. Though I suppose it's possible that it's a cheapie rate Lufthansa pays, is capacity controlled, though I've never run into problems.

17. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That was essentially the explanation we got when we pushed them. Eh - turned out we enjoyed the day in Munich and the FCL has showers, so we were glad to spend the time in town.