Day Rates

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by JetsettingEric, Dec 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stumbled on a little gem. I called up the 1800 number on the back of my card and asked if a specific hotel had a day rate (flying in on a red-eye and leaving that night). Needed a place to shower, nap and then explore the city. Surprisingly, he pulled up a rate and booked me into it. I called up the hotel earlier (not an english speaking native country and it was 4am local time, but the hotel tried to be accommodative but either did not understand day rate or could not see it).

I wish the online site had better functionality on which cities and areas had day rates. The rate i found was slightly better than an advanced purchase night rate, but gave me the flexibility of not having to worry about a cancelled reservation and guaranteed a late or potentially very late checkout.

The hotel benefits by having more usage of their space.

My really awesome wish would be the flexible 24 hour benefit that starwood plats have, but this isn't too bad here.

sobore, wrxmom and perryplatypus like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I wish hotel chains offered day rates online, very few do (I've seen them on the Accor website for what it's worth)

Starwood Platinums who stay 75 nights get the 24 hour checkin/checkout benefit. But then you're of course still paying the full room rate. ("Your24")

sobore likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. I'm confused why they don't. I can't imagine their occupancy rate is so high that nothing would be available for day rates.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I can only imagine that people could mistakenly book those rates quite often especially to the extent they're lower than overnight rates.

autolycus likes this.
  5. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got to imagine that the percentage of day room clients compared to overnight ones is well below 1%. Not worth the potential confusion and resulting problems of misbookings.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Published day (on hilton.com) are generally are more available than some here seem to think. Those published tend to be properties located at (major)airports and quite rightly so why in the world would one need a day rate at the HI in Moscow Idaho.
    Considering the retrictions of necessity placed on such a rate I rather suspect that it might be one extra problem not worth the hassle from the hotels point of view. I vividly recall the stink made but a guest at the London Airport Hilton because the hotel wouldnt allow him to stay 3 hours longer on his day rate.

That said one is generally much more successful in obtaining/negotiatiing a day rate by calling the property directly.