Day and a half transit...

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by Aktchi, Jun 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I ran into a great problem: the airline cannot give me a good connection, so I get to send 1.5 day in BKK. Wish all problems were like this. :)

I have been to BKK twice, 2-3 days each time. Both times I stayed in Skhumvit. First time Westin Grand (with points), second time Royal Asia Lodge (my own cash). So I am not an expert but familiar enough to manage on my own if I had to. That said, everyone can benefit from expert advice and tips, so here I am.

Basically, I am wondering if should stick to Sukhumvit, or try something else for a change? I'll arrive at 10AM, leave at 5PM next day, no worries about time. I don't expect or even want to do very much in one day, just want to be in or close to an interesting area, good food, cheap clean massage if such a thing exists.

I have Radisson and SPG points
    In Sukhumvit, I can afford Park Plaza Soi 18 (Radisson) or Four Points Sheraton.
    Along the river, Royal Orchid Sheraton.
    I can always do some $50 hotel on my own cash. Just has to be clean, safe, working air-conditioning. Any particular advice or outstanding recommendation?

Finally a more general question. Which booking site or review site most trustworthy for hotel reviews?

Kalboz likes this.
  2. tomy77

tomy77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. If you plan to use SPG point, might want to consider Aloft sukhumvit as well.
    It's only category 1. (2k only on weekends).
    There's review here for both Aloft bkk and Four Points BKK

2. For Radisson, if you sign up for their 50k mega bonus, might as well go for Radisson Sukhumvit.
    It runs $60-70 when i last checked, and it'll net you 50k club carlson points. (Practically a steal)

Or you can check the other thread for deals: BKK deals

Kalboz, Aktchi and TRAVELSIG like this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    excellent suggestion on the aloft.

otherwise OP check out agoda

Kalboz and Aktchi like this.
  4. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sadly I'll be there on Friday (6/15). Various rates are :
    ROS: 3K points, or 1600 spg + $30
    4PS: 3K points
    Aloft: "Call for free nights". That doesn't sound like good news, but I could call and find out.

I would do this in a heart beat, but which promo is this? Rushing off to Radisson forums... :)

Kalboz likes this.
  5. tomy77

tomy77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Link: Radisson 50k. But might want to double check if they hit 100k registration already or not.
    "The first 100,000 people to register for the Radisson® Big Night Giveaway will be eligible to receive 50,000 bonus Gold Points®
    Anyone after 100k people will only get 15k. Still not too bad if you going to stay at radisson anyway.

Kalboz and Aktchi like this.
  6. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. I did find the link and could register for Radisson and Park Inn promos. I even think I'll be able to use both in BKK and DEL respectively. :) That's 94K points for spending a few $ more than I was going to spend anyway, so I cannot thank you enough for helping/forcing me to think out of the box.

Country Inn registration had hit the limit and is only offering 15K points now. I registered, but I am not chasing it.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. tomy77

tomy77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice job! Glad to hear.

Aktchi and Kalboz like this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    94K are the bonus points + what you gonna earn and you will probably have 100K after the two stays ... enough for two nights at the ultra-luxury Radisson Blu Bangkok on you next trip here :)

Aktchi likes this.