Day 8 - AA 30 yr Anniversary: 3000 AA Miles for Joining American Cellars Wine Club

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Apr 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Please visit the sticky at the top of the forum for links and discussion on previous deals.

**The May 25 deal is yet to be determined. AA has stated the promo on this day will be user generated. Fans of AAdvantage on Facebook can suggest a promo and AA will select a winning entry. To suggest a promo, "Like" the AAdvantage page on Facebook and look on their wall for the postings soliciting input.**

Register for the promo here.

Join American Cellars Wine Club and start enjoying great tasting wines delivered right to your front door. Earn 3,000 AAdvantage bonus miles and receive 6 wines for only $6.99 a bottle, free shipping on your first shipment, plus earn 4 AAdvantage miles per dollar spent.

2. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like it'll be 3168 miles total for $42 spending + 6 bottles of wine.

Seems decent to me (if you don't mind drinking cheap wine).

Be sure to cancel though!

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Give it an hour and some EXP will come and say how he can get a better deal out of flying for 18 hours with his 125% bonus. :)

-- edit:

BTW keep in mind that the T&C says you get the miles after your first shipment, so you have to spend more money to actually qualify -- even though they tout you earn 4 miles per dollar on top of that.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    An FYI to interested parties:

BarelyElite was able to locate the Terms and Conditions for almost all of the upcoming promos. They're posted in the sticky at the top of the page.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm... now I see that they have a "with enrollment" image, so perhaps that "first shipment" they're talking about is the 6 bottle one.

[​IMG]

If that's the case then we're indeed looking at 3k miles for $42 (1 cpm). Now if the miles post right away you can cancel before the next cycle and save yourself from having to spend $12-15 on another bottle the following month.

6. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you read the fine print, you'll see that there is a minimum 21 day enrollment period. I think you can expect the next shipment of less-than-superb wine will ship within that 21 day period. This vendor is a regular AAdvantage participant (I think their normal enrollment bonus is 2,000 miles). On FT, there have been a lot of people who have enrolled in the past reporting dissatisfaction with the wine, inability to cancel before the next shipment, etc.

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah it looks like they're just bumping up the bonuses for vendors on the e-shopping portal slightly based on this promo and the other ones, which is kind of disappointing.

Regardless, if you have to bite the bullet and eat another shipment, you're still looking at $42 + $12 (next month's bottle) + shipping (no idea how much), which is still under 2 cpm.

And as per the quality of the product, as per all these other "buy x for miles" promotions, you can't really expect much I suppose. Whether it's $6 wine or signing up for another Netflix account, all that most people care about is the cpm. :)

8. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    People really should read the entire promo page before signing up. Might I call your attention to the part where it says this: "Each month, you'll receive a new shipment of 6 captivating wines at just $12-$15 per bottle (plus delivery)." The next shipment would be between $72 and $90 (plus shipping). Figure around $100, plus the $42 signup shipment, and you're at $150 for 3,000 miles. About 5 cents per redeemable mile. Of course, you could always give the wine to a homeless shelter and claim a tax deduction. :D

9. pauleeepaul
    Original Member

pauleeepaul Active Member

Status Points:
    :D indeed!

10. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    One further note - you may well expect that the miles will hit your account the instant your account hits the 21-day mark, so that you can cancel your account before the next shipment or three arrive. Others have reported a considerable delay in mileage posting.

11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I bit the bullet and decided to give this a try anyway... shipment arrived today. I guess we'll see how long before the miles post.

[​IMG]

12. petzpetz

petzpetz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey! I'm petzpetz and I'm new to this board.

I was wondering if anybody tried this out and could share his/her experiences with the rest of us. I'd be particularly interested in a) how quickly the miles posted, b) whether one can avoid a second shipment and c) if the wine was any good :)

Best,
    petzpetz

DestinationDavid likes this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hi petzpetz, welcome to MP and the AA forum. :)

It looks like viguera was the only person who openly said he tried this promo out. I replied to his last post so that he hopefully sees you want to have him post some updated information on his experience.

viguera likes this.
  14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good idea... I saw this and actually created a thread on the whole experience yesterday... :)

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/vinesse-wine-club-membership-for-miles.12729

DestinationDavid likes this.
  15. petzpetz

petzpetz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks DestinationDavid and viguera!

After reading viguera's thread on it, I figured it surely isn't worth the hassle...