Day 6 - AA 30 yr Anniversary: "Behind the Scenes" AA Package

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Apr 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    THIS PROMO HAS ENDED

Please visit the sticky at the top of the forum for links and discussion on previous deals.

**The May 25 deal is yet to be determined. AA has stated the promo on this day will be user generated. Fans of AAdvantage on Facebook can suggest a promo and AA will select a winning entry. To suggest a promo, "Like" the AAdvantage page on Facebook and look on their wall for the postings soliciting input.**

Register for the promo here.

Bid now on this one-of-a-kind experience including the opportunity to fly an American Airlines Simulator plane, tour American’s System Operations Control and the American Airlines Operations Tower at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport and more. Auction is open now through April 29, 2011.

• Open in the 50 states and DC
    • Must be 18 years of age or older.
    • Winner is allowed to take 1 guest
    • Prize is non-transferable
    • Winner is responsible for all travel expenses to get to the closest AA station and all applicable fees/taxes
    Terms & Conditions/Current Highest Bid

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As a point of clarification, yes, AA is asking you to give them miles. :)

15 minutes past the hour and the bid is already at 30,000 miles.

As an observational side note, I have a feeling this one's gonna go over really well with people.....:rolleyes:

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's ridiculous when you think about it... spend a buttload of miles on "an experience" that doesn't even involve you going anywhere exotic. What's next, playing AA Janitor for a day for 50k miles? :)

And the 5/25 business just smells of lack of effort... seems like they got that far and said "oh well, I don't know what else we can offer, so let's just let people figure out what we should do"

Don't get me wrong, it has potential, but I doubt we'll see some kind of "Crack the case" promo or a crazy thing like them giving away RTWs.

Casey Friday and 2soonold like this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    With regards to the Facebook promo, if you already follow the AAdvantage page you know that 90% of the people on there do nothing but bitch and moan about AA's service. "Your prices are too high!" "Why is LAX on sale? I wanna go to LHR! You hate me UGH!" "OMG U lost my BagGage I h8 U!!!!". The other 10% seem like FTers/MPers people. I'm betting the 90% will get the win on this May 25th promo!

Exiled in Express and UNHBuzzard like this.
  5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So underwhelming...

2soonold likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Current bid (as of 10AM Eastern): 131k miles.

LOL

7. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    first class to australia > flight simulator for 5 minutes. sorry bros.

8. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Different things will attract different people, and this one does seem to be attracting some people. To me, it seems like a promo for those who have always wanted to be a pilot. That isn't me, I've always wanted to be a Saudi oil sheikh (or at least to travel like one), so I'll wait for them to run the promo for people like me.

cptnkirk77, 2soonold and viguera like this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember bidding hasn't ended yet, it's actually only a few hours old.

Maybe we should start a pool on how high this will actually go. My money is on 300k miles. :)

10. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Disagree. I think this one will generate fairly high bids. There are plenty of pilot wannabees that would bid this up for the sim time and tour (there is some cost involved - IIRC, there was cash $$$ required for this sort of thing at the Delta Do @ ATL). I don't know how much this will go for, but given the number of folks from OBB that went to the Delta do indicates that there should be high level of interest.... especially if it's a "one-off" custom tour.

I'd also bet that there are lots of folks sitting on lots of miles that might not use them for anything else...

11. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems a bit churlish to make one of the "bonuses" a "chance" to participate in an ongoing program.

In the spirit of the 30th celebration, it might have been better for AA for have put togrther two of these packages - one for the auction site, and a second one for a drawing open to all AAdvantage members

spaced2 and viguera like this.
  12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure it will generate insanely high bids, but IMO it's still not a good way to spend your miles, nor for AA to celebrate the program's 30th anniversary. They could have easily turned this into a giveaway to AAdvantage members without asking people to get into a bidding war.

13. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I loved that the fine print on today's special lets me know that I also have the option to book any hotel I want (as long as I pay the bill) .... and if you happen to live close to Dallas, you have to find your own way there.

its a 25k mile reward flight, a tour, a dinner and a short time in a flight simulator, let me know when this hits 250k miles so I can get my bid in :D

14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Up to 153k with a full 3 1/2 days left to go.

Reminds me of those crazy eBay auctions that could have been sooo much better if people knew not to start bidding so early.

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure there is a segment of FFers on AA who collect miles and have no outlet to use them, either since their company pays for all their tickets or they have no interest in traveling for leisure. They're probably an ideal candidate for this kinda of promotion. It allow AA to get a small chunk of miles off it's sheets for minimal cost on their part.

That being said, I'm with gemac. This promotion isn't for me, and I'll be waiting.....

gemac likes this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO did something similar with their OnePass auctions program for the opportunity to ride on a 737 delivery flight. It included a party in SEA and some tours and such and then the flight to IAH, as well as the flight to SEA and home from IAH. It went for a pretty solid premium over just the award seat price and likely justifiably so for the folks who bid.

It is easy to say "it isn't worth it" but these experiences aren't actually ones that money can generally buy. You have to know someone or get hooked up with a group to get in on some of the inside stuff. Yes, you pay a premium for that but it doesn't mean that the event is not worthwhile. Just maybe not to you or me.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If AA had this same offer but as a "tour group" experience where you paid cash (say... $300) I might consider it. My love of travel and realizing how far those miles can take me trumps my curiousity though.

Just as an update for those curious, the current bid at 5:18 PM Central time is 206,000. :)

18. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch... so basically 175k a day. Even with the law of diminishing returns you have to figure it will hit half a million miles by the time it's over.

19. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ha, I love it ...... as a special offer to everyone on milepoint, I have come up with a special package for all those college athletics fans who miss out on American Airlines package.... for only 25,000 AA miles and $300 I will offer up a special package ...... first, use your miles to book an award trip to TPA, then mail a $300 check to Mike1625 .... where you will get a special tour of my workplace, which includes real time on the phone making cold calls in an attempt to sell college football season tickets, and a speial lunch with Mike1625 and other sales executives who will spend a delightful hour complaining about anything and everything.

Wurm and viguera like this.
  20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    256k miles already... seems like I'm gonna be way off. :)

21. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Meh... I've visited AA before and I can get access to a sim almost whenever I want (albeit a fighter jet sim vs. an airliner sim, but still). Pass.

22. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd gladly buy such a package - but only if it includes a session on "Jim Tressel's Effective E-mail Tips" :D

Mike1625 likes this.
  23. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In all seriousness, working in college athletics for a state school, knowing everything i send is an official state record, and can be requested by anyone for any reason .... I always ask myself, would I be willing to take a call from a reporter about this email before I hit send. Many key people will not have email just so reporters can't ask for copies of all their emails.

24. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    By the way, not to make anyone think I am important, reporters aren't asking for my emails, but better to be safe than sorry.

25. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like it ran out of steam finally... 270k miles though, and maybe there will be a last minute bidding war.