Day 30 - AA 30 Yr Anniversary: 30% Off MileSAAver Awards within Continental US & Canada

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, May 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Please visit the sticky at the top of the forum for links and discussion on previous deals.

Register for the promo [COLOR=#3178bf][COLOR=#3178bf][COLOR=#3178bf][COLOR=#3178bf][COLOR=#3178bf][COLOR=#3178bf]here[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR].

Redeem 30% fewer AAdvantage® miles when you book an Economy Class MileSAAver award for travel within the Continental U.S. and Canada. Book and ticket by June 10, 2011, for travel starting September 7, 2011, through November 8, 2011.

Terms & Conditions:

Standard AAdvantage® award travel terms and conditions apply. Any taxes and fees associated with award travel are the responsibility of the passenger and/or the AAdvantage member. No registration is required, the mileage discount will automatically be applied to eligible reservations. Seats for award travel are subject to capacity controls and may not be available on all flights. Discounted award special only applies to travel booked and ticketed starting May 27, 2011, through June 10, 2011, for travel wholly within the Continental U.S. (including Alaska) and Canada. The 30% discount is not retroactive to bookings made/ticketed prior to May 27, 2011, and cannot be combined with any other discounts or special offers. Travel must be completed starting September 7, 2011, through November 8, 2011. Offer applies only to travel on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection service. Award travel reservations can be made on AA.com or through AAdvantage Reservations at 1-800-882-8880 (a $25 USD service fee applies to award travel booked through AAdvantage Reservations).

miles and smiles and jwsky like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And thus ends the "30 Day 30 Deals" event. Not a bad deal, but I won't be using it. If it was 30% off awards anywhere, I'd be booking a few to Japan. Domestic bookings just don't appeal to me. :(

3. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the deal people come up with!? :confused: I thought they will end this with a bang...oh well

4. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh well, follows the exciting standards set in this promo. For a surprise encore I might suggest pay $30 for a chance to win a bag of 30 pretzels. :D

neuatomic likes this.
  5. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree it's somewhat underwhelming, but this actually worked for me. Scored a weekend trip ORD-LAS that I really didn't want to pay for. 17K miles seems like a good deal.

6. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Soooooooo underwhelmed. :rolleyes:

I guess they learned their lesson from the 20 year promos. :oops:

7. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lackluster ending...I almost get this same deal with my Citi card.

8. Take.me.away

Take.me.away Active Member

Status Points:
    I had just started flying and had become a AAdvantage member at the 20 year promo time. Some of those were fun! PS this is my first post to any travel blog, even though I have lurked for a while at a few of them. Thanks for making this one seem so friendly!

Travel2Food likes this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! :)

I hope you continue posting and contributing.

10. lwildernorva

lwildernorva Active Member

Status Points:
    I agree American didn't hit a home run with this promo; it's more like a solid single. Given that the dates made available are past the summer travel season, international travel could have been included, and the discount could have extended to business and first class redemptions. The advantages, such as they are, are that this portion of the promo isn't limited to the quarterly destinations Citi has and will allow one-way award bookings as opposed to the Citi card fares that require roundtrip travel, all in the same class. I might have taken advantage of this promo as I've been planning a trip from ORF to SFO the second full week of November, but the window for bookings closes a few days too early.

11. lwildernorva

lwildernorva Active Member

Status Points:
    s
    oe
    d
    Forgot to mention that, of course, the fares can be booked directly on AA's website rather than through a telephone call to AA, which avoids the $25 fee. And, since you have two weeks to make a decision regarding bookings, revenue management might decide to open up some additional availability. :p

Seriously though, there are some deals to be had with this promo. From ORF to YVR, cheapest fares in October run about $900. There's decent award availability in October for 17,500 miles and $52.50 in taxes and fees. The Citi offerings in Canada this quarter include Halifax and Calgary and, in the past, have included Montreal and Toronto, but Vancouver doesn't make as frequent an appearance on the list.

I'd do that trip, in fact, if I weren't already considering the SFO trip in November, a trip to Scotland in late August/early September, and a week in the Outer Banks in mid-October. Even with a lot of annual leave on the books, I have to go to work sometimes. . .

12. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA did more harm than good with this 30th anniversary promo.

13. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OK, I'll bite: How/why?

14. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did this promo increase your loyalty to AA? Or, like I suspect is the case with a lot of other AA members, leave you feeling very dissapointed (as compared to much more generous promos routinely run by other FFPs?)?

15. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm... I was able to take advantage of this, but I guess I understand your point. I suppose I might suggest that it did not overwhelm people. Did it do any real harm (i.e. tilt people towards behavior AA would like to avoid)? I might suggest that it did not or did only a small amount.

16. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    This plus some in flight experiences during the promo did leave me with a better feeling toward AA. Both my positive experiences and the negatives of a friend flying UA that I witnessed plated into that. The promotion gave me about a 5k bump, not sure if I can take advantage of the reduced redemptions yet.