Day 3 - AA 30 yr Anniversary: Shop, Dine, Travel for a 3000 AA mile bonus

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Apr 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Please visit the sticky at the top of the forum for links and discussion on previous deals.

Register for the promo here.

You are just steps away from earning 3000 bonus miles! Simply register with AAdvantage eShoppingSM and AAdvantage DiningSM if you have not already and spend $30 with each program. Then either fly with American Airlines, complete a car rental or complete a hotel stay. Do all three by May 27, 2011 and you will receive a bonus of 3000 AAdvantage miles!

Details:

Shop- Spend a total of $30 with the AAdvantage eShoppingSM mall. All you have to do is register in the program and you could be earning miles every time you shop. Just visit the AAdvantage eShopping mall and choose from leading retailers such as Apple iTunes, Groupon, Cabela's, Target and hundreds more. Retailer's discounts and coupons still apply, and you could even earn miles for restaurant and retail gift cards.

Dine- Spend a total of $30 with the AAdvantage DiningSM program. Simply register your credit or debit card(s) and earn miles each time you dine at participating restaurants. You'll find a variety of establishments in your area, with new ones added all the time. Just pay your bill with a registered card and the miles will automatically be posted to your account.

Travel- Complete a flight on American Airlines, or earn miles with an AAdvantage car or hotel participant by May 27, 2011. Be sure to have AAdvantage miles as your earning preference when you travel.

Complete all three activities by May 27, 2011 and you will earn 3000 bonus miles!

Terms and Conditions:

This offer is non-transferable. Registration is required. To qualify and participate in this Promotion and earn 3,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles, participant must (i) currently be an AAdvantage member in good standing (ii) choose to earn AAdvantage® miles with AAdvantage program in their member profile if required by participating partner, (iii), complete all qualifying AAdvantage eShopping purchases during the promotional period as they will be applied toward reaching the $30 spend threshold, (iv), complete all qualifying dines during the promotional period as they will be applied toward reaching the $30 spend threshold, and (v) complete their hotel stay, car rental or American Airlines flight by May 27, 2011. The AAdvantage bonus miles earned under this promotion will be in addition to the standard miles AAdvantage members earn for qualified transactions with each partner.

AAdvantage members who complete their hotel stay, car rental or flight after May 27, 2011 will not be eligible to earn any bonus miles. AAdvantage members must have chosen to earn American Airlines AAdvantage® miles in their member profile if required by participating partners before their flight, car rental or hotel stay to qualify for this offer. Qualifying stays at hotels do not include "no-shows" for a stay even if the member is charged for the stay. Eligible flight activity includes travel on purchased, published fares on American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection. AAdvantage award bookings, American Airlines Cruises, last-minute packages (i.e., packages of the type purchased on http://aa.lastminute-packages.com) and all other fares defined as ineligible for standard AAdvantage mileage accrual are ineligible to earn this bonus (see www.aa.com/earn for details). Bonus miles will be earned and credited to the account of the person traveling only when flight activity is posted to the traveler's AAdvantage account. Limit: 1 bonus mile offer per AAdvantage member during the Promotion Period. This Promotion is void where prohibited. Bonus miles will be posted to the qualifying AAdvantage member's account 8-10 weeks after the promotion ends. Bonus miles earned in this promotion do not count toward elite status.

2. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lame.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    True. At least it's easy and cheap, though. :confused:

4. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a bit of a newbie at this type of promo so just wondering if we can expect anything significant or it is going to be piddly dribs an drabs every day. A few points here and there, but nothing to get you away from your computer and out on a plane flying somewhere.

5. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Based on the 25th Anniversary promo series, I would expect about 5 that would give you major miles, like this year's day 1, and about 25 that would be more like this year's day 2 and 3. I remember that 5 years ago, you could get 60,000 miles for buying a Lincoln Zephyr, and major miles for a Citibank mortgage.

A few people will get a bunch of miles for something they were going to do anyway. Most won't. Remember, this is occurring during the worst economic times for airlines in the last 60 years.

DestinationDavid and Kaanapali like this.
  6. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think people should keep this in perspective!

I would also expect one day to be devoted to a signup bonus for the Citicard...(but hopefully not just 30k!)..with perhaps additional miles for doing other things with Citi.....

7. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dining is likely to occur anyway and I can easily throw a rental their way, that makes this a 100 miles per dollar bonus for buying from the mall for me. :)

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking the same thing... it's an easy 3k miles, assuming you can get a cheap throw-away rental. I wonder if you can stack this with the earlier Avis promotion and get double miles for the rental too. :)

$30 dining can be iffy if you don't have any good restaurants nearby, but it's not impossible. And with Mother's Day around the corner you should be able to use FTD or 1-800-flowers or whatever through their shopping portal and spend the required $30 and more. Plus you'll probably get some good miles out of that too, since I think FTD is offering something like 20 miles per dollar or so.

9. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I expect that also. What is unclear to me is if the signup bonus will apply to those who have already had a Citicard. I guess we'll see - Probably on May 10.

10. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like that existing reservations count.
    Altho' unless I'm missing something, AAdvantage Dining only works for venues w/in the US.
    At least if one had already planned to travel during this time, all that's left is a dine at a place one might normally go anyways, and a purchase one just has to time w/in the period.

11. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess what this comes down to is it can work if you were already planning on doing these things.

To buy 3,000 miles costs $112.50 including the $30 transaction fee. So as long as you were already planning on a trip somewhere and already dine at restaurants within the program and shop at the mall you should be ok.

We have never eaten at any of the AAdvantage Dining facilities because there is nothing that we consider decent to our tastes within a reasonable radius.

One thing this is reinforcing for me is I think AA might be the wrong program for me to focus my efforts on. Flights out of SJC and SFO are kind of lacking and it seems mostly codeshares for us.

12. Sam
    Original Member

Sam Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are looking in SFO-SJC area - there are hundreds of participating restaurants and deli shops.
    Have you checked them all out?

$30 is not enough for a dinner for two, so we are talking about breakfast or snacks.
    There are deli shops that sell bread, milk, bottled water, juices, small packages of cereal, fruits by the piece.
    How about ice cream, muffins, croissants, a slice of chocolate cake or candy for dessert?

Do you plan to buy any presents for friends or relatives this year? Do they have children?
    I have yet to meet a child who does not like pizza or ice cream.
    Consider 1 x $30 gift card for an adult friend, or 3 x $10 or 6 x $5 for the youngsters.

13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well the cost is "not so high" when you consider what you have to do to get the promo miles. If you were planning to buy stuff from Home Depot or Best Buy or Staples you can easily shift that transaction to go through the AA shopping portal... you end up not only satisfying that part of the promo if you spent $30, but you also earn additional miles by using their site -- even if it's 3-4 miles per dollar, it's still something.

Like I said, if you were planning to order $100 worth of flowers or buying something at Macy's, that's an additional 300 miles for using their portal -- so it'd be 3,300 miles total. If you're a new user there's even another bonus of 1k or 1,200 miles I think, so the total is even higher.

Plus don't forget that if you're not registered for RN Dining through AA -- or if you register a new account -- you can sign up for the new member bonus and get another 1k miles. And there has to be one restaurant that you can think of that you can spend $30 at... you get that done and that's 4,300 miles with the new member bonus.

The real deal breaker is the car/hotel/flight if you weren't planning on doing that anyway. You can get a throw-away compact car rental for $50 at Avis, so that -- plus putting in the work -- would be the real cost of actually getting the miles IMO.

14. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My past experience was converting hotel points to miles often "counts" as a hotel stay. I may try this with a small transfer of "cheap and easy to earn" hotel points (e.g., Choice or PriorityClub) if I don't get an extra car rental or hotel stay along the way.

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think the split verdict here on the promotions comes from a divide between MP users rather then the promos themselves. On other sites similar to MP, the audience is composed largely of frequent fliers. MP has a much larger portion of individuals who are collecting most of their miles through credit cards/promos/offers and ultimately aren't flying that much.

With that in mind, I can see where many of those individuals would be dissappointed in the promotions so far. They aren't blockbuster mileage bonanzas, which would be the ideal promo for a non-flier.

For your everyday AA frequent fliers who earn miles plenty of miles through flying, these promos look like good opportunities to get a few miles with little to no effort.

Just my 2 cents! :)

16. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    DestinationDavid, think you have hit the nail on the head.

I don't fly nearly as much as the more dedicated flyers on this forum and TOBB. Last year I only did 18 segments and 53k miles. None of these were MR, just flights I had to take to get somewhere I wanted to go. That is probably an average year for me.

I'm also not a big shopper, we have all the crap we will ever need for a long time, no-one I want to send flowers to. As for dining out, we eat out quite a bit, but I prefer to eat at restaurants because I like the food rather than go somewhere for points then spend the next 2 days whining about what I consumed. There is only 1 restaurant in my town that is even on AADining and it's a sandwich joint which I would never dine at. There is one other within 10 miles I have been to, but last time for 4 of us it cost over $200 and it was only average food.

17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Of course this is just my personal opinion/observation. It won't fit everyone. I'm sure there are some who are FF on AA and still think these promos are awful. I do think there is a different audience make up here on MP though. That's not a good or a bad thing, it's just a thing to consider. :)

18. Redhead

Redhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish oneworld flights counted. I have a J-class LAN flight in two weeks. Not sure that I can do a rental if I can't get another flight in. My travel dates are pretty restricted right now.

But the shopping - that's an easy one. Mother's Day helps there. And one of my favourite local delivery places in an i-dine member

19. Redhead

Redhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone remember the 20th Anniversary - earn miles with 20 partners (and all the stores within the shopping portal counted as separate partners) to earn 20,000 bonus miles. It was my first big promo. Pretty fun switching up airlines and hotels to get enough partners.

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There's a whole thread about reminiscing about the older anniversary promotions you might enjoy here

What about a hotel stay? Book a cheap hotel that qualifies and check in. You don't really have to stay the night there. Depending on where you are, it might not to such a bad option.