Day 28 - AA 30 Yr Anniversary: 3x AA Miles for Charitable Donations

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, May 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Please visit the sticky at the top of the forum for links and discussion on previous deals.

Register for the promo [COLOR=#3178bf][COLOR=#3178bf][COLOR=#3178bf][COLOR=#3178bf]here[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR].

For a limited time, earn triple AAdvantage® miles when you donate to American's Miles for the Cure® campaign, which supports Susan G. Komen for the Cure® or to American’s Miles In Support of All Who Serve campaign, which supports USO programs. Donate now to earn 30 miles per $1 donated.

Terms & Conditions:

Offer valid on contributions made online at www.uso.org/aadvantage orwww.komen.com/aa May 25, 2011, through May 31, 2011. You will earn triple AAdvantage miles for each dollar that you donate during this period. Gift card purchases are not included in this promotion.

Minimum $25 donation required per charitable organization

Mileage cap for a 12-month period is 50,000 AAdvantage miles per charitable organization for U.S. members; 60,000 AAdvantage miles per charitable organization for international members

AAdvantage bonus miles do not count toward elite-status qualification

Please allow up to eight weeks for the AAdvantage bonus miles to be posted to your AAdvantage account. Donations can only be accepted in U.S. dollars. All gifts are welcome; however, AAdvantage miles will only be earned for donations of at least $25 USD

AAdvantage bonus miles may post separately from AAdvantage base miles

American Airlines reserves the right to change the AAdvantage program and its terms and conditions at any time without notice, and to end the AAdvantage program with six months notice. Any such changes may affect your ability to use the awards or mileage credits that you have accumulated. AAdvantage miles earned through this promotion/offer do not count towards elite status qualification. American Airlines is not responsible for products or services offered by other participating companies. For complete details about the AAdvantage program, visit www.aa.com/aadvantage.

Antwoinne likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm guessing this is the user generated promo.....

3. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is actually quite a generous promotion, after all it's for charity! Win win for everyone.

4. KtownTraveler
    Original Member

KtownTraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pollyanna. ;)

5. GeneCMH
    Original Member

GeneCMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    So donating $1,666 will net you $50,000 miles. Hmmm

How does that rate compared to the usual miles for purchase programs and benefits?

6. GeneCMH
    Original Member

GeneCMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Answered my own question.

You can buy 40,000 right now with the 20% off promo for $800

7. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget that you can deduct this from your taxes though, so the actual cost may be lower.

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah but I'm waiting for someone to come and say you can get a decent MR for the same amount that nets you twice as many EQM/MQMs. :)

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  9. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always maximizing.

10. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another way to put it...
    Buy AAdvantage miles for 3.33 cpm, and all the money goes to charity.

Debatable whether you can deduct the entire amount.

Antwoinne likes this.
  11. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Understandable... but some people actually like showering and sleeping in their own bed instead of flying for 26 hours straight. :)

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  13. Antwoinne
    Original Member

Antwoinne Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds intriguing. I actually just got the Citi Visa and the Citi AmEX (AAdvantage) cards with the $1500 spend for 75k miles. Is there an added benefit to getting the minimum spend out of the way? Does anyone know what the total added bonus for using the AA cards for this purchase would be?

14. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    After my donation went through, the confirmation letter tells me: The value of frequent flyer miles received as a result of your contribution is $xxxx. Contributions to Susan G. Komen for the Cure may be tax-deductible to the fullest extent permitted by law. Does the law permit me to deduct from my donation what the charity values the mile (2.5cpm) at or what I value the miles at? ;)

15. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    IANAL. IANA Tax Advisor.

The law allows you to dispute that if you have suitable documentation to justify it. If SGK or AA reports your donation to the IRS (as is done with a 1099-MISC for contest winnings), then there's more risk of an audit when you file.

But if all the documentation is handled by you anyway (no direct report to the IRS by SGK or AA), then I would think that you can adjust it appropriately on your own. With the current 20% discount offer for buying AA miles, I'd go to that page and get a screenshot of the total price to buy miles at 2.0cpm + $30 transaction fee. Then keep that with your donation confirmation letter. Then ask your tax adviser.

An alternative is to ask AA to issue you a letter based on the 20% discount, but good luck finding someone to do that.

pokerhammy likes this.
  16. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks SC Flier. Let me see if I get a 1099 in the mail.

17. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would be extremely surprised if a charity issued a 1099. They aren't "paying" you; at best, it is a return of part of your donation.