Day 24 - AA 30 Yr Anniversary: Save 30% on Car/Hotel Redemptions w/ AA Miles

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, May 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Please visit the sticky at the top of the forum for links and discussion on previous deals.

Register for the promo here.

Let your miles take you further. Use 30% fewer miles when you redeem AAdvantage® miles for car rentals and hotel stays at over 10,000 locations worldwide. Enjoy the flexibility of combining cash with as few as 1,000 miles. Enter your AAdvantage number, click "Get Deal" then login on the booking homepage to access discounts.

Terms & Conditions:

Registration by entering a valid AAdvantage number at AA.com/AAdvantage30th is required to access discounts. Member login is also required upon reaching the AAdvantage® Car and Hotel Awards booking site homepage to receive the thirty percent discount. Once logged-in, the discount will be factored into the rates listed when accessing the AAdvantage® Car and Hotel Awards booking site from the 30th anniversary Deal 30 promotion site. The discount is valid for bookings made between 12:00am CDT May 19, 2011, and 11:59pm CDT May 19, 2011. When prompted for payment, you have the flexibility to pay with all miles, or a combination of cash and as few as 1,000 miles. The thirty percent discount applies to both the cash portion and miles portion of your payment. There are no travel date restrictions. Prices are guaranteed upon booking. Your AAdvantage miles will be deducted at the time of purchase. If you choose to pay for your purchase with AAdvantage miles plus currency, you must have a major credit card with a US mailing address and pay any currency due at the time of purchase. Once you book your hotel or car award, your transaction is nonrefundable and the AAdvantage miles may not be reinstated. You may make changes to your reservation if the hotel or car providers allow it, but a $30 USD and other change fees may apply and changes must be made 24 hours in advance of check-in. Car & hotel awards do not cover any incidentals or optional items. You'll pay the hotel property or car rental company directly for these charges. Car rental rates also do not include some taxes, service charges or other additional fees. When using a car award, you must return the car to the same location where you picked it up. Car and hotel awards purchased through this site do not qualify to earn AAdvantage miles from American Airlines, even for portions of payment paid with cash. Credit earned in any loyalty, recognition, or rewards program is at the discretion of the car rental company or hotel property. See complete terms and conditions at AA.com/carandhotelawards.

2. KtownTraveler
    Original Member

KtownTraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Site says deal expired. Someone's asleep at the switch!

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I noticed that earlier. I'm assuming it'll get fixed before the AM rush.

When I first saw the deal pop up at midnight, it said it expired in 3 minutes....:eek:

Or maybe they're taking a page from their Citicard deal and yanking the deal early? Just kidding....

4. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice enough; but only one day?

5. AndreaRH
    Original Member

AndreaRH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just checked out this deal. Here's some sample data for anyone who's interested...

My status: Gold (elites are supposed to get preferred rates)

Hotel checked: InterContinental De La Ville Roma

Dates checked: June 2011

Room type: Classic

Miles per night withOUT the 30% anniversary discount: 41,550
    (my husband without elite status was offered the same nights at 45,650 miles per night)

Miles per night WITH the 30% anniversary discount: 29,100

IC Roma's rack rate (including tax): $563/night

IC Roma's Friends & Family rate (including tax): $422/night

IC Roma's Reward rate: 40k Priority Club points, 35k points plus $40, or 30k points plus $60 (all per night)
    (No Reward nights available during the nights I wanted and Priority Club wouldn't open them up for me.)

When you get to the booking page, you can also play with a slider for a "cash and points" option but the point-to-cash ratio was underwhelming.

GeneCMH likes this.
  6. GeneCMH
    Original Member

GeneCMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Based on the discounted rate, at 29,100 miles in the example above, this is probably a fair vaue. Figure that would cover a domestic Pland Ahead award, which if going to Alaska or Canada (YVR) or such (assuming you could find availability when desired) would be about the same cost maybe a bit more.

Hmmm...very tempting offer

7. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's less than 2 cents a mile, plus you don't get the nice hefty PC point (or do you?) so I'd pass on that.

8. AndreaRH
    Original Member

AndreaRH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whether you get points for this type of booking is probably hit or miss. I recently cleared out my Delta account by booking a hotel (another InterContinental, actually) and I did receive points and stay credit from Priority Club. I don't know if that was supposed to happen or not but it was a nice surprise.