Day 20: AA 30 Yr Anniversary - 3000 AA Miles for New Netflix Accounts

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, May 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Please visit the sticky at the top of the forum for links and discussion on previous deals.

Register for the promo here.

Instantly watch as many TV episodes and movies as you want for only $7.99 a month. Watch right on your TV and watch instantly on your computer too. Join today and earn 3,000 AAdvantage miles!

Terms & Conditions:
    Offer is valid 5/13/11 – 5/19/11 to new Netflix members only, and only one American Airlines AAdvantage® mileage award will be awarded per AAdvantage number. Current and previous Netflix members and their households are ineligible. Cannot be combined with any other offer, including a free trial. Purchase or redemption of Netflix gift subscription(s) is not eligible to earn AAdvantage miles. AAdvantage miles will be awarded for a new paid Netflix membership only. Offer requires linking directly from this page. Valid payment method and a valid AAdvantage number required. Please allow 8-10 weeks for AAdvantage miles to post to your AAdvantage account. A Netflix membership is a month-to-month subscription that you can cancel at any time. Click the "Your Account" button for cancellation instructions. No refunds or credits for partial monthly subscription periods. The number of DVDs out at a time varies by plan. Our most popular plan, 3 DVDs out at-a-time, is $16.99 a month plus applicable tax. Not all DVD titles are available to watch instantly. One business day delivery based on more than 95% of our subscribers being within one-day postal delivery zones. See www.netflix.com/TermsOfUse for full terms and conditions of the Netflix service, including shipping and delivery details. © 2011 Netflix Inc.

gleff likes this.
  2. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've already signed up for netflix in the past.

Any tips on getting miles the second time around?

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they're checking your address to make you ineligible, then they might allow you to sign up but not give you the miles, which would suck. :)

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Guess it all depends on how in depth Netflix wants to go to verify the information as well. There's the address as viguera mentioned, but they could look at email addresses and credit card numbers, too.

5. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or, the important check might be at AAdvantage - Netflix probably is glad enough to sign you up again, but the granting and posting of miles could well be stopped when the request reaches AA for processing.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, but AA won't have a mechanism to know if you were a previous Netflix customer, they'll be relying on Netflix to report it. I'm willing to bet AA isn't handing out those miles for the promotion either, Netflix is probably paying some fee for each customer, so they'll have a vested interest in making sure you aren't scamming them.

You don't have to trick AA, just Netflix. I'm a current customer and I'm resigned to the fact that this 3000 mile offer isn't for me. Good luck to those who want to try though! :)

Wurm likes this.
  7. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, what I am thinking is the following: Netflix sends the information over to AAdvantage, and *they* check the records for your account to see if you've ever been granted miles for joining Netflix.

I'm basing this on the following sentence in the Ts and Cs:

... and only one American Airlines AAdvantage® mileage award will be awarded per AAdvantage number

If an AAdvantage member (AAdvantage account number) has ever been granted miles for NetFlix membership, then isn't it inherent that a previous NetFlix membership existed at one time?

OK, I realize that I'm probably over-thinking it. :D But I also think that both NetFlix and AAdvantage, given the relatively low cost of a Netflix membership, realize that churning membership to gain miles would be rampant if they didn't put procedures in place to ensure a single credit over the lifetime of any given AAdvantage account.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd agree that this was the mechanism if the T&Cs didn't clearly state, "Current and previous Netflix members and their households are ineligible" well before your quoted section.

It's a straightforward and direct requirement that makes no mention of previous AA mile bonuses. It just flat out says if you currently are or ever were a Netflix member, no miles.

I think the section of the T&Cs you cited is designed more for an individual who sets up a home account and then uses a different email/CC/address to create another account. For example: a home account, and a "work" account. They'd both credit to the same AA FF # though. The clause seems designed to say, "no sir/ma'am, no miles for that 2nd registration".

Because let's be honest, we all know someone would try that. ;)

9. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have an Evo, Incredible, G2, Nexus One, or Nexus S Android phone, Netflix just released their streaming app for it today. They are planning on adding other phones "aggressively" or so they say.

10. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm.

Well, I'm thinking I might try. I've only received CO miles for a netflix sign up. I'm just going to try a new address (I'll only get streaming), new credit card and new email.

I've never done this with AA, so my frequent flyer number shouldn't be a problem. I just hope the miles post fairly quickly (as they have in the past with Netflix). The suspense is going to kill me. :rolleyes:

Now, I'll see if I actually do it.

11. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    This should work. I have received Netflix signups from at least 2 airlines, US and either AA or DL. I did use a different card, email, and slightly different address format. I am going to try this one as well, not going to be horribly disappointed if it doesn't process.