Day 16: AA 30 Yr Anniversary - Win a Oneworld First Class RTW ticket for 2

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, May 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Please visit the sticky at the top of the forum for links and discussion on previous deals.

Register for the promo here.

Terms & Conditions available through the link. Important prize info below:

3. PRIZE DETAILS. One (1) Grand Prize consisting of round-trip First Class air transportation for two on any or all of the oneworld® Alliance carriers and their oneworld affiliates. Itinerary will be based on the rules of the oneworld multi-carrier award ticket terms and conditions. Trip may include up to sixteen (16) segments (not to exceed 50,000 trip miles per passenger). Upon written request complete rules and restrictions will be provided by the Sponsor. Travel must originate in the 50 United States. All travel must be on oneworld Alliance carriers or their oneworld affiliates. For a list of oneworld carriers, visit AA.com/oneworld. (approximate maximum retail value (ARV): $6,270 (per ticket)). Total ARV of all prizes: $12,540. American will pay the excise tax segment fee, airport specific Passenger Facility Charges (PFC) and September 11 security fee, directly related to the itinerary flown by the Grand Prize winner and person accompanying such winner, provided such payment shall not include any kind of income tax. Winner is responsible for the full cost of transportation to and from their departure and arrival city. Winner is responsible for any and all applicable insurance costs, federal, state and local taxes, if any, and gratuities, meals, incidentals and any other unspecified expenses associated with acceptance or use of the Prize. Prize is provided “as is” and without any warranty of any kind. Prize is non-transferable. No cash redemption or prize substitution allowed by winner. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize of equal or greater value if advertised prize becomes unavailable.

JALPak likes this.
  2. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now we are talking! This is the kind of prize a true airline sweep should have! Unlike those stinky economy seats CX offers as their "grand prizes" :rolleyes:

2soonold likes this.
  3. Kohoutek
    Original Member

Kohoutek Silver Member

Status Points:
    $12,540 x 30%* income tax rate = $3,762 :eek:

And that is just for starters. :eek::eek:

The "wrong" winner :oops: might have to decline the award, with the award going to an alternative winner, and on and on, maybe. :D

*for illustration

2soonold likes this.
  4. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ouch! I wish they'd have just offered 330K RDM instead, which is what such an award is worth in miles.

2soonold likes this.
  5. Kohoutek
    Original Member

Kohoutek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to see some MilePointers step up to the plate, and suggest some itineraries, and with which carriers, for this contest. :) :cool:

2soonold likes this.
  6. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a nice compliment to the 30,000 miles prize.

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Damnit why don't they eat the taxes? :)

I think Delta or someone else was running a contest recently with a 5 figure ARV and they were covering the taxes. All these companies should do that, even if they give away "less extravagant" prizes.

It's like you win, plus you get a bill for winning. :)

This is definitely the fly in the ointment, but still the purpose is to enjoy yourself in a vacation and not some crazy MR. :)

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They're offering the standard 50,000 mile oneworld award that you can get with AA miles, so you can see some examples of trips at this link. I'm leaving on my first oneworld award in just over a month, and I'm very excited about it. I'm doing:

ORD-LHR on AA First Class (STOP)
    LHR-HKG on CX First Class
    HKG-FUK on KA Business Class (STOP)
    FUK-TPE-HKG on CX Business Class
    HKG-SIN-CMB on CX Business Class (STOP)
    CMB-SIN on CX Business Class (STOP)
    SIN-SYD on QF First Class A380 (STOP)
    SYD-LAX on QF First Class
    LAX-ORD on AA First Class (STOP)

This wasn't the highest level redemption option though, so the prize actually gives you more flexibility. I'm gonna poke around and see if I can find a "dream trip" option. And post again. I love planning Oneworld award! :D

Kohoutek and viguera like this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    You need help, but we all appreciate your insanity. :)

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How about this for insanity?

LINK.

LAX-JFK on AA
    JFK-SCL on LA
    SCL-EZE on LA
    EZE-SYD on QF
    SYD-NRT on JL
    NRT-HKG on JL/CX
    HKG-JNB on CX
    JNB-LHR on BA
    LHR-BUD on BA/MA
    BUD-AMM on MA
    AMM-DME on RJ
    DME-LED on S7
    LED-HEL on AY
    HEL-MAD on AY/IB
    MAD-LAX on IB

15 segments, 6 continents, all OW airlines (except MX, but honestly.....), and 46,790 miles. A real OW award!

Kohoutek, k2o, noel and 1 other person like this.
  11. lunettes noires
    Original Member

lunettes noires Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure they would still send you a 1099 for an ARV of $8050 (2.5 cpm) if you won that hypothetical prize :(.