Day 1 of the Elite Purge

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Garp74, Feb 1, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today was the first day after the PQD purge. I flew two segments, IAD->IAH and IAH->SAT. It was immediately noticeable, as Boarding Group 2 had its usual long lines, but for both segments, there were only about 10 people in Boarding Group 1. Very surprising.

What wasn't so surprising was that for IAD->IAH, not a single upgrade cleared. There were 7 GS who pre-boarded, and I was the only one who sat in F (I had bought an L ticket a few months ago for this trip which Y-Up'd to A).

daninstl, 8MiHi, Flyer1976 and 4 others like this.
  2. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should be interesting to watch if the herd has really thinned down.

daninstl, 8MiHi, Flyer1976 and 2 others like this.
  3. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I know I dropped from 1k to Gold (thanks to MM) otherwise I'd be Silver today. You're welcome ! :)

Dublin_rfk, daninstl, kwai and 4 others like this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just curious, were there many empty seats in F?

daninstl likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If 6 GS were in Y I'm assuming all the F seats were filled, either with paid F or pax using instruments for upgrades.

daninstl, 8MiHi and Newscience like this.
  6. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    IAD -> IAH was full with zero upgrades showing on the app. No one made it.

IAH->SAT was almost all upgrades, including at least one gold.

7. eap
    Original Member

eap Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both of my flights today (AUS-IAH, IAH-IAD) had more in group 1 than any other group. If the herds were thinner, it was far from noticeable.

daninstl and 8MiHi like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me, too. Alas, I now have top status with AS thanks to a status match, so I am still a top dog somewhere.

daninstl, ella and Flyer1976 like this.
  9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also flew IAD->IAH yesterday morning on the 0815AM departure and there was about 40 Elites awaiting UGs on the list with only one GS clearing prior to the gate.

IAH->ATL had about 15 elites on the UG list with F booked full and only two UGs cleared (me and Kiwii_Xan had RPUs for this flight).

daninstl, Garp74 and 8MiHi like this.
  10. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I challenged (successfully) to AA EXP.

Still *G with 1MM UA BIS. Otherwise I'd be GM with UA after 7 years straight as 1K.

Thinning of the herd, if it actually did occur, will do nothing for upgrade rates. It will only allow UA to sell more TODs.

11. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't noticed much change yesterday. Group 1 line was as long as ever on ORD-LAX and LAX-YVR.

12. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for front line news for the First Culling. Anecdotal evidence that I have received suggests a big drop in 1Ks with many going to Platinum (still BG 1). I would love to know the real numbers.
    Given the type of traveler who reached 1K and Platinum last year, I expect that the combined total is very little changed given the CC waivers. These could hold many at Platinum and many PP1Ks (Pre-purge 1K) would still qualify for Platinum at $7500 and 75K+ miles. It's the leisure traveler and the bargain Elite who are getting culled.
    I speculate that Silver, Gold and 1K are reduced in number while Platinum is increased. Next year's culling could be significant as well. BG 2 will be kept long due to the CC perk.

Newscience and Garp74 like this.
  13. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! A move designed to further increase revenues.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    kwai, uggboy and 8MiHi like this.
  14. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think we can use 2/1 as a barometer. I was still flying as Gold Sunday because I started my trip before the cutoff. I was still listed for UGs, and still processed as *G everywhere. Too many pax continuing on long haul 2/1 that started 1/31 or before to use 2/1 as a true test. In theory, folks that checked in at D-24 for Saturday travel (like myself), were checked in as Gold on Friday. 2/2 or 2/3 would be the first day the heard has truly been purged.

legalalien and 8MiHi like this.
  15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Guess I'll report on how thin the herd is on this Friday's ATL-EWR flight. ;)

8MiHi and Newscience like this.
  16. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the Boarding Group lines will be an even indicator across the system for the reasons stated above. An even less visible indicator will be a drop the number of certs issued.
    Fewer 1Ks and fewer certs mean surviving 1Ks may have greater success in their CPU experience than they would have under the old system. However, they may not notice if F sales are increased.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    Newscience likes this.
  17. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There was no thinning of the herds at IAH for UA1178 to SFO at 6:30am. In fact, it was the opposite. There were perhaps EIGHTY people in Group 1, fewer in Group 2 and the lines kept getting shorter further down the groups. There were 79 people in the upgrade standby list which included at least 5 GSs. Only one person had been moved up one day prior, and then a lady sitting next to me in E+ was fetched to take the place of a no show after we boarded.

Newscience, Garp74 and 8MiHi like this.
  18. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I honestly don't think that y'all are going to see a super thinning of the herd. While on BBs such as this, there were several sub $3,000, 1Ks, they just are not that prevalent. The lines are going to be just as long as before, and u/g space on elite intense routes will still be as problematic as before. This was not done as a reward to those that remained, but we have debated that ad nauseum and see no need to retread that ground. YMMV

kwai, legalalien, flyforawg and 5 others like this.
  19. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It sounds like the plot to the movie "The Purge". Maybe there could be a sequel. Like "Final Destination" meets "The Purge" brought to you by United Airlines. You know it's the day where all the Delta Passengers take out the United Elites to pay them back for stabbing them in the back at Love Field. Sound stupid? Can't be any worse than Sharknado 2.

20. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC one's status is recognized based on what it was when the booking was made. So for the next few weeks there will still be many Group 1 folks who have actually dropped down a tier or two, but their res files will still show them as 1Ks and similar Group 1 eligible. This is why if you go up a tier but have several previous bookings, you must call in to get your account # removed and re-entered to display the new upgrade in status.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    YRNC. I just checked in for my flight tomorrow and as a former 1K (when I booked the ticket) I now got Boarding Group 2 (and Gold status) on my BP.

22. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure I'm a rare exception, but... I'm still 1K, but I have not been on UA since 10/20/14. I have been flying and spending more than the last few years, but all on AA (EXP) and CM. AA's not perfect, but it is better than UA, IMHO. For example, I have yet to miss a CPU on those flights where I have not paid for a premium cabin.

Newscience likes this.
  23. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This will likely prove to be correct.

24. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    My n sample size is tiny, but I'm finding first class fares to be suspiciously low. Bought a EWR-LAX round-trip in P for $780 and a PHL-PHX for $725. Was looking at EWR-SLC via DEN and it was pricing about $650 for discount first ....all of these were for trips less than 21 days out without a Saturday night stay. Economy were considerably more.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  25. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wednesday night on a SFO to PHL red eye, The gate lice for Zone 1 at boarding time number @15 me included.

Garp74 likes this.