Day 1 - AA 30 Yr Anniversary, 30K Bonus Miles possible for up to 5 RTs booked on AA.com

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Apr 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Day 1 - APRIL 18

Register for the promotion here.

Earn bonus miles for up to 5 R/Ts booked on AA.com between 4/18 and 4/30. Must travel between 5/15 and 11/15/2011. Earning potential per R/T booked is:

1 RT = 1,000 bonus miles
    2 RTs = 3,000 more bonus miles
    3 RTs = 6,000 more bonus miles
    4 RTs = 9,000 more bonus miles
    5 RTs = 11,000 more bonus miles

In total, you can earn a grand total of 30,000 miles for 5 R/Ts. Pre-registration is required!

Official terms & conditions -

To qualify, members must fly on purchased, published-fares on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection service (as well as codeshare flights booked under the AA flight number) starting May 15, 2011, through November 15, 2011. Registration with a valid AAdvantage number at AA.com/AAdvantage30th prior to travel and before midnight, CDT, April 30, 2011, is required. Travel must be booked online at AA.com starting April 18, 2011, through April 30, 2011. Travel booked via sources other than AA.com will not be eligible to earn the bonus. The bonus is not retroactive to reservations booked prior to April 18, 2011. A round trip is defined as two one-way trips booked in a single reservation under one ticket number. A maximum of one round trip is permitted per reservation. Bonus miles do not count toward elite status qualification. Members will earn 1,000 bonus miles after one (1) round-trip; 3,000 bonus miles after two (2) round-trips for a total of 4,000 bonus miles; 6,000 bonus miles after three (3) round-trips for a total of 10,000 bonus miles; 9,000 bonus miles after four (4) round-trips for a total of 19,000 bonus miles; and 11,000 bonus miles after five (5) round-trips for a total of 30,000 bonus miles. A maximum of 30,000 bonus miles may be earned from this promotion in conjunction with flying five (5) eligible round-trips.

2. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

I don't recall other promotions that said "A round trip is defined as two one-way trips booked in a single reservation under one ticket number.". That seems to add a lot of flexibility, open jaws for example.

3. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Signed up.

4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note, there's also a sweepstakes to win 30k AA miles on the right side of the landing page.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The give away is once per day, too, so people can enter every day over the next 30 days.

I've tried to keep all the offers consolidated in the sticky at the top of the page with two sections; one for on going offers and one for the deals for each specific day.

Hopefully we see some great stuff. Not too shabby so far. :)

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  6. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, I'm excited to see where they go with this. I'm hopeful for a DEQM or something similar. Hopefully, we'll be able to stack some of these promos too.

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the post on the BoardingArea section, it looks like there will be a few AAdvantage-specific ones, but the rest are partner offers...

Code:
    April 18 – Bonus miles for up to 5 R/Ts booked on AA.com btw 4/18-4/30, travel btw 5/15-11/15
    April 19 – Avis
    April 20 – AAdvantage
    April 21 – AAdvantage
    April 22 – AAdvantage
    April 25 – AAdvantage
    April 26 – Dollar
    April 27 – American Cellars
    April 28 – AA.com
    April 29 – Energy Plus
    May 2 – 1-800-Flowers
    May 3 – AAdvantage eShopping
    May 4 – AA Vacations
    May 5 – Starwood
    May 6 – Hertz
    May 9 – American Airlines
    May 10 – Citi
    May 11 – Fairmont
    May 12 – Admirals Club
    May 13 – Netflix
    May 16 – Lending Tree
    May 17 – Radisson
    May 18 – AAdvantage Dining
    May 19 – AAdvantage
    May 20 – LifeLock
    May 23 – La Quinta
    May 24 – Buy AAmiles
    May 25 – ????
    May 26 – Alamo
    May 27 – Days Inn
    The Avis/Alamo and other rental cars -- and most likely the hotel ones too -- will probably just be "earn double/extra miles" if you spend money with partners.

The 5/2 1-800-Flowers will probably be good if you're planning to spend some money on Mother's Day stuff... maybe a few extra miles per dollar there. The 5/12 Admiral's Club will probably be a discount, and stuff like LifeLock and Lending Tree are probably not things that anybody would sign up for unless they really want the miles.

There's another Netflix offer there though... so it looks like I'll have to sign up for another Netflix account, depending on how much they're offering. :)

8. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think it's fair... Just 3 days ago I booked a RT from GIG to LAS!!! Now I won't be able to participate??? This is very awkward for AA!!! They should allow all reservations booked prior to April 30!!!

9. Travelgirl
    Original Member

Travelgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do you know you are registerd for the promo I plugged in my aa # hit enter and nothing, didn't get a confirmation via email that I am signed up either.

Short window to book tickets to qualify :(

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd call/email just to make sure...

And I agree, it's an incredibly short window to book with such short notice. Chances are a lot of people already booked travel and are now faced with not getting credit for it because they just find out today, plus they have to book by 4/30.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's a pretty generous, non-targeted offer which is rare lately. Despite the small purchase time frame I think it's a good offer.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  12. cptnkirk77
    Original Member

cptnkirk77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if this would work for a multi-city itenerary? I'm about to book dfw-ord-pit-dfw...Does this count as a round-trip?

13. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would book DFW-ORD and PIT-DFW with a separate ORD-PIT you can make it even a roundtrip ORD-PIT PIT-DFW and use the PIT-DFW sometime in future. this would earn you 4000 RDM extra

cptnkirk77 likes this.
  14. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, this reminds me of the good old 20th anniversary days. I still have a five dollar GC from Eddie Bauer t hat we never cashed in.

15. cptnkirk77
    Original Member

cptnkirk77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea very good idea...thanks a lot!

16. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Come on, that's how promos always works, I've got several trips booked as well, but I'm just glad they're running this promo (Maybe I've been with UA for too long), I just wish they would extend the booking window for a tiny bit longer,

17. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should compare it carefully with normal opportunities. A 7.5K miles rt will also give me 30K rdm (with Plat bonus), plus 15K EQM which the promo won't, for about $800-900 with FD. So unless you could do 5 rt's with much less money, it does not look attractive. At least for Plat/EXPs who know how to FD. :D

18. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect the vast majority of the beneficiaries will be low fare paying pax who book travel well in advance.

A narrow two-week booking window against a seven month travel window is odd. I know I'll take >5 round trips on AA in this timeframe...generally in paid J or F, but I don't know when, or even to what cities at present...and even if i knew before before the end of the month, I'd invariably make a change between now and my date of travel.

This is an interesting decision by AA to promote what will generally be discounted fare traffic.

19. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point, but if you're just getting started or low on the totem pole then the bonuses are out of the question... and you could always turn this into 5 weekends in Vegas or a real fun MR day rather than a single crazy 19 hour marathon flying around all over the place.

20. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think they should apply to all who already bought RTs for the period in question, otherwise it's not fair at all!!! Just making me and a lot of other loyal customers mad at AA!!!

Kaanapali likes this.
  21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have tickets valid for the period in question and I'm not angry at all. How is this promotion any different then buying a ticket and then having them introduce a sale 2 months later? Yeah it sucks but it's not unfair. It's just bad luck.

Toula likes this.
  22. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ok, so, it's not fair, it's just bad luck... you put your money on the airline company before, sometimes even pays for executive class in "I" and it's juts bad luck!!! So... it will be just bad luck when I decided to change airlines or your lugagge goes missing, it is not that isn't fair, it's just bad luck!!! Please...

23. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    An airlire losing your luggage is clearly the airline making an error.

An airline creating a promotion to celebrate a product's 30 year anniversary that kicks off on the anniversary date is not AA treating you poorly. You're free to register, buy tickets, and get the bonus just like everyone else. You aren't excluded in any way.

I'm open to hearing a clear argument from you on why it's unfair, but I haven't seen one yet. You just seem upset you can't get the miles by not following the rules of the promo. Would you be open to explaining how it's unfair?

24. I'm pretty excited about the next 30 days but I do have a question-- do you think they will run a discount on tickets during one of their advantage days on the calendar? I have a few flights to book and wondering if I should wait to see the upcoming offers. Thoughts?

Kaanapali likes this.
  25. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well.....if you bought your tickets during one of AA's 24-48 hour sales the week before last.....then you saved about 40-50% on fares....which certainly is not available now.....so while your purchased tickets won't get these bonus miles.....people buying such tickets now have to pay more...

Things usually even out.....
    I would guess not....given the relatively short purchasing window....but hey...you never know :) Given the restrictions on having to buy in the first day promo.....waiting might make sense....no way to tell right now