DataValet Levels?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by rehoult, Mar 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    From my just received Elite Connection:

"Since March 1, 2011, our Air Canada Maple Leaf™ Lounges offer three different WiFi bandwidths. As an Elite member, you have complimentary access to 1 MB of our fastest bandwidth known as the “Gold level”. It's another way we recognize our most valued customers."

The link for more information doesn't have anything on the levels. Does anyone have any additional information on this?

2. SensFan
    Original Member

SensFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I looked around as well and couldn't find anything either. It is also not really clear what we are getting. Are we allowed to download 1 MB at the gold level or is that the speed? 1 MB doesn't last very long...

They really seem to be making internet access in the MLLs much more complicated than it needs to be. I guess they were able to add this in with all of the added revenue they have received from the *Gs who pay for this service.

milestoburn and The Winger like this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not any different for SE:

"Since March 1, 2011, our Air Canada Maple Leaf™ Lounges offer three different WiFi bandwidths. As a Super Elite member, you have complimentary access to 1 MB of our fastest bandwidth known as the “Gold level”. It's another way we recognize our most valued customers."

4. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    not sure why AC feels the need to make providing WiFi such a huge benefit. i mean especially in airports that provide the same for free.

JimYUL likes this.
  5. c_9
    Original Member

c_9 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This must be 1 Mbps (megabit per second) bandwidth, not a download cap. As you say, one megabyte of downloading doesn't last very long at all. So that means that in one second, your theoretical maximum would be one megabit, or about 122KB, give or take.

6. spddemn
    Original Member

spddemn Active Member

Status Points:
    And here I thought as SE I'd get 10MB of super duper fast wifi for my torrent downloads ;)

7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Obviously they did not include the special lounge pass in your SE kit! ;)

2MM_Guy likes this.
  8. Paid services ike BOINGO that one finds in some airports are pretty damn fast. I would think that AC if they are going to treat SE's as top tier would make an even faster speed available than to *golds. Their approach is like the ICHG saying Royal ambassadors are only allowed the same upgrades as a regular ambassador member.

9. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oddly, the YEG MLL didn't even prompt for credentials tonight. The band width isn't any thing to write home about mind you.

10. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find the DataValet signals at YYZ very weak and speed nowhere close to what the free airport service from Rogers/Boingo. However, both beat the pants of the anemic T-Mobile we get in the US. I find downloading video podcasts is never a problem in Canada, but in the US it is positively anemic! Not to mention streaming video which buffers every minute or two.

11. If you are in the YYZ lounge at rush hours it does get sluggish but otherwise I find its fast enough. Get an AMEX platinum card and try their lounge next time. Or, give up on Apple:D

12. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    And what is fast enough? Download email without attachments ?:p

13. Obviously you don't fly through YYZ enough to comment intelligently on the subject.;)

14. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Obviously you only download email without attachments......:D;)

15. What are attachments?:rolleyes:

16. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually I seldom go to the MLLs and use the Amex lounges where the Rogers signal is just fine. (I've had an Amex Plat card since they came out and am a Charter member.) Nothing wrong with Apple products and the web. Just look around and see how many iPhones and iPads are in use in the lounges these days, not to mention sleek silver MacBookPros and Airs.

17. I am currently in the domestic MLL and the speed is blazing on my BB Playbook, even downloading attachments. If I have time I might go to the Amex lounge and compare

18. how about Blackberrys :)

19. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ewwww... BB Playbook... Bleh! :D Anyways, recently I've found the speeds quite OK. Another lounge that surprisingly had free WiFi with good speeds was the SEN lounge in VIE! :confused:

20. If you don't have one then don't complain about something you know nothing about. That's how whining becomes a habit.

It works just fine thank you. I am not an apple person,sorry.

21. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're a diminishing breed. When a company's stock goes from the high $80s to the low $40s there's something happening out there in the marketplace. (Why so high on RIM when you're bashing Bombardier? RIM has gotten similar tax breaks with the R&D tax credit but you don't seem to be slagging those guys.)

22. BB technology has been chosen by the US military as their tablet of choice due to security features. I have recently purchased one and starting to love it. RIM will be fine;I think Balsille's ego got a little rampant in recent years and they took their foot off the gas pedal. They have good stuff in the final development stage pipeline.
    It might be time for them to sell as well. Original owners do get stale sometimes and need fesh approaches. The bold smartphone and the tablet are very good devices.

Slagging is a selective sport for our hero although it is usually everything Canadian that gets his poison.

23. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
  24. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

QSG likes this.