Dare I dream? Might we see CO come back?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Renard, Aug 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2011/08/12/major-expansion-set-at-ellington-airport.html

Ellington Airport is changing its name — but that’s only the first step in a long line of high-dollar improvements coming to the airfield.
    The airport is becoming Ellington International Airport, with plans to bring in domestic and noncommercial international flights. The new name comes as Houston Airport System has begun construction on a new terminal, tower and inspection station at Ellington, costing more than $10 million and slated for completion in a year to 18 months.....

2. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:

:)

3. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Heh. Saw the subject line and thought you were posting about something else. I'd be shocked if they did return to EFD, and I'm not really sure what the big attraction for another airline would be there, considering how close HOU is. But, regardless, one can dream, and if CO/UA was back at EFD with similar pricing terms and mileage rules to the old days, you can bet my trips to Houston will all be booked in and out of that airport.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd say the chances of CO returning to EFD are somewhere between zero and none.

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're quite astute on this...I'd have thought Zilch counted for something...

6. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is today "post like a Nigerian scam letter" day?

Flyer1976, Mackieman and sdm1130 like this.
  7. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I remember reading this and thinking 'who's going to fly out of there?'. I am sure they would have mentioned if they had firm agreements from a carrier.

If CO were to come there, they'd probably price it like the flights that they placed at HOU after EFD was shut down (you could take a limo to IAH for cheaper than the price diff they charged between IAH and HOU for the very short time they were there...you know they didn't stay long because nobody came :rolleyes:)

I can say that if there is something resembling reasonable service out of there by someone other than colgan or something like that, then that is in all likely my new carrier.

I think this is going to go over as well as the Houston Cruise Ship Terminal ( you know...the one that sits empty).

8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How did you know? =D I have to agree service back to EFD would be nice but I can't see CO re-starting service to here anytime soon.

9. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    The new terminal at EFD is for "non-commercial" as in private jets that don't require TSA screening. That's why CO left EFD in the first place. They were told to either pay for security screening upgrades or leave. I loved flying out of EFD and would do it again if they returned, but I'm thinking it's not going to happen.

10. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Living in Clear Lake in the 90's, it was extremely convenient to fly ex-EFD and avoid the 30 minute long parking lot between Fuqua and north of Downtown. The extra miles didn't hurt either!

11. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Non-commercial for international flights is the way I read that paragraph. There are plenty of LCC and leisure airlines that would gladly pay for security at EFD rather than gates and slots at IAH/HOU.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Vision, maybe? Nonstop service to VPS :D

13. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    My shortest FM trip is HOU-IAH on CO. I was amazed at how far out of the city they had to fly before they could enter the pattern for IAH. Pretty much all the way out to Beaumont.

14. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    My shortest is IAH-HOU. Just under 7 minutes takeoff to touch down, on a 733 in 2000. There were a few months in late 1999/early 2000 that CO ran mainline equipment on that route, in addition to the props (EFD remained all prop). We had a crew of five, and about eight passengers, one of which was elite and sat in F by himself. It was one of the 733s with the overhead video monitors, and the safety video (the old one, with Bethune's intro and all the FAs) was longer than the actual flight.