Damaged...what happens?

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by chef4u, May 1, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I returned my rental to LAX and the person who checked me in ( he was a real jerk) said there was a scratch. Of course, there wasn't and I have the pictures to prove it. It's been 4 days and I've heard nothing back from National. Should I be worried

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am confused -- were you with the person at the car when you returned it and they pointed out a scratch that didn't actually exist? I would have taken a picture of his finger pointing at the shiny spotless paint of the car then.

3. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was dirt, which I wiped away. Both my wife and I took pictures. The guy was being a real a-hole, saying the non existent scratch could be buffed out. I've called National, have a reference number and was told I would hear back in 48 hours. Now at almost 96 hours and still haven't heard anything back. If they charge my credit card, I will dispute it. The situation just leaves a real sour taste. I hope they don't treat all Executive Aisle members this way

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your credit card provides rental car coverage, contact them ASAP about this bogus potential claim. Let them handle it, if posssible.

Counsellor likes this.
  5. ajlex

ajlex Active Member

Status Points:
    I had the exact same issue with Hertz. Totally disappointed with them and now use Avis and Sixt with good results.
    I returned a car and two people were there who examned the car meticulously and in great detail.
    Obviously they needed to fill their "quota" of collecting on damages depsite the fact that the car was returned intact. they insisted there was a tiny dent which I could not see. then they (believe it or not) said it can be seen only from an angle and in the light but that it was a damage to be noted.. I still could not see it and protested vociferously so they finally did not include it in the report. But they did include a tiny scratch which fortunately I had found myself when picking up the car and got it noted in writing by the attendant.
    Upon pickup the attendant said it was tiny and no need to note it yet upon return that "tiny" damage was now a potentila claim of a few hundred dollars of damages. What a scam:)

6. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    My first thought when reading the title was that you were dealing with Enterprise. I had an incident with them a few years ago where they tried to charge me several hundred dollars for a dent that was in the car when I picked it up. I had pointed it out, the agent said he marked it on the check out sheet - which I had failed to get a copy of - and the manager upon return the car tried to tell me it wasn't there when I had checked the car out.

It took about 4 months and several letters between me and Enterprise, but there was no way I was going to pay for damage that was done prior to my picking up the car. That was the last time I rented from Enterprise. It was a location connected to my car dealer, and that was the only reason I had rented from them in the first place.

I would say hold your ground, and if they try to charge your credit card for repairs fight it.

7. carnut

carnut New Member

Status Points:
    I think you will find that in many large airports, the idiots that check your car for damages are many time independent contractors and do have a financial stake in finding "damage". If the drop off point is in a garage, notice how dark the pick up point is and how brightly lit the drop off point is. The last time I was in Europe the girl laid on the garage floor and looked up at the door and said there was a scratch on the rocker panel. They know many people are in a hurry to catch a plane and won't challenge them at the rental desk. They also know many have damage insurance through their CC and they will get paid through them.

8. Budov1

Budov1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah yes a car rental company "National" in scope. I am an Emerald Club Member for many years. A few months ago I was stopped on the Freeway in traffic and was rear ended. I had paid the additional for the rental car insurance coverage and I had coverage with my cc company as well as my personal coverage. The person who hit me also had coverage and acknowledged responsibility. I provided all the parties information to include their insurance company, photos, etc to National. I received an irate phone call from the car rental company demanding "I immediately pay for the damages or they would cease allowing me to rent from National or any of their subsidiaries." What the rude and irate representative didn't know was I had voluntarily stopped renting from them and instructed my employees to do the same after her call. I have added the subsidiaries of National to that list of non approved rental companies. Does anybody out there have the name of the National CEO as I would love to share my story with him (or her). Oh and after her call I contacted my insurance company again and they had taken care of it.She didn't get the memo I guess.

9. Budov1

Budov1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh and did I say I was an Emerald Club member, that was incorrect . I voluntarily am no longer an Emerald Club member.

10. Budov1

Budov1 Silver Member

Status Points:

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    stravels likes this.
  12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some contradictory information being presented here. Why take out insurance with National if you have credit card coverage, the former voids the credit card insurance anyway.
    Did you report the accident to the credit card insurance company? .

The issue appears to have been settled but since you have instructed 'all your employees not to rent with National and their subsidiaries':) Whats the point of wanting to talk to the CEO?