Damaged bag - what is your experience?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Seat6A, May 21, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it worth making a claim for damaged and missing bottles of wine?

I shipped 30 bottles of wine home from Argentina. 18 arrived just fine, six arrived damaged and six never arrived. The wine in question was last seen after Customs in Miami when i gave it ot the baggage handler and he set it on the conveyor belt. The six bottles that finally arrived got here three days later from Miami with bulging corks and dried red wine on everything. I have called to make a claim for this and got their voice mail. Does anyone have any experience with a similar claim? Is it worth trying to make the claim? The voice mail at the number i called said i have to take it to LAX in person, which means $10 in parking, etc.

This is how they were delivered to me. Neither of the two original boxes made is past Miami.
    20150520_170833.jpg 20150520_170827.jpg 20150520_170827.jpg 20150520_170833.jpg

2. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tough call. It would be easy for AA to pawn liability to TSA. Could be worth a shot.

3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whenever I check wine, if the agent checking it knows it is wine they explicitly remin d me that shipping wine and other fragile items is at my risk and make me sign a waiver.

4. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately i was away elsewhere and couldn't go to the airport to make the claim. pretty poor service i'd say. i'v never had a problem and always pack it well.

5. dreeves1976

dreeves1976 New Member

Status Points:
    American Airlines has lost my luggage 3 times in the past year. It only happened to me once in my life before that. They broke the wheels on another new bag on an international flight.