Dallas | April 17-19, 2014 [normal/advanced]

Discussion in 'Dallas | April 17-19, 2015 [normal/advanced]' started by theforwardcabin, Dec 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. theforwardcabin

theforwardcabin TheForwardCabin

Status Points:
    Howdy all! My name is Jamie and I'm one of the organizers for the Dallas FTU series.

Registration is LIVE for the event!

Booking link for FTU: https://ftuniversity.com/events/ftu-dallas/

Booking link for FTU Advanced: https://ftuniversity.com/events/ftu-advanced-dallas/

The USA TODAY TRAVEL Frequent Traveler University is heading south to Texas. Join us at the Hyatt Regency DFW Airport on April 16-18, 2015. We’ll have amazing educational sessions, great networking, and plenty of friendly Texan hospitality.

Frequent Traveler University

Learn how to earn elite status quickly, book cheaper fares, find the best redemptions for your award miles, and navigate the world of miles and points. Rewards programs don’t have to be complicated. Get the inside knowledge you need to make these schemes work for you.

A full schedule will be published soon, but several speakers and sessions have already been confirmed:

Gary Leff – View from the Wing

Where We’ve Been and Where We’re Going

Ben Schlappig – One Mile at a TIme

How to Book Your Own Award TIckets

Greg Davis-Kean – Frequent Miler

Maximizing Your Miles with Online Shopping Portals

Stefan Krasowski – Rapid Travel Chai

The Secrets of Renting Cars at Home and Abroad

Scott Mackenzie – Travel Codex

Search for Flights Like an Expert on ITA Matrix

For $149, you’ll receive three days of expert-led sessions, a welcome cocktail reception on Friday night, and breakfast and lunch both days. Sign up now to secure your seats! We’ll have more details soon, including a discounted rate for the host hotel and other offers from our sponsors.

Frequent Traveler University Advanced

The USA TODAY TRAVEL Frequent Traveler University is heading south to Texas. Join us at the Hyatt Regency DFW Airport on April 16-18, 2015. We’ll have amazing educational sessions, great networking, and plenty of friendly Texan hospitality.

Learn how to earn elite status quickly, book cheaper fares, find the best redemptions for your award miles, and navigate the world of miles and points. Rewards programs don’t have to be complicated. Get the inside knowledge you need to make these schemes work for you.

A full schedule will be published soon, but several speakers and sessions have already been confirmed:

Gary Leff – View from the Wing

Advanced Q & A

Ben Schlappig – One Mile at a TIme

Booking Advanced Award Tickets Like a Pro

Greg Davis-Kean – Frequent Miler

Shortcuts to Elite Status

Stefan Krasowski – Rapid Travel Chai

Advanced Tricks with Credit Card Rewards

Scott Mackenzie – Travel Codex

Fare Construction and Upgrades Using ExpertFlyer

For $249, you’ll receive three days of expert-led sessions, a welcome cocktail reception on Friday night, and breakfast and lunch both days. In addition to more advanced topics, FTU Advanced attendees receive upgraded meal and beverage selections. Sign up now to secure your seats! We’ll have more details soon, including a discounted rate for the host hotel and other offers from our sponsors.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
    daninstl likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pro tip: When inviting people to sign up for something include a link to said signup page.

3. FlyingExplorer

FlyingExplorer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Important question: Does the conference hotel have an executive lounge? Will they be able to handle 100s of Diamonds? :D

daninstl likes this.
  4. theforwardcabin

Status Points:
    Tommy is fixing now. We're in the process of launching now, so it's a work in progress.

daninstl likes this.
  5. theforwardcabin

Status Points:
    No, they don't. If you're a Diamond, breakfast is at the hotel restaurant. There is no Regency Club.

daninstl likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:

If registration is open then you should have a link to provide for people to register. The fact that Advanced is apparently already sold out and you couldn't even figure to provide a link to the main FTU page from which people could find a registration link is ridiculous.

And to demonstrate just how complicated it is, https://ftuniversity.com/events/ftu-advanced-dallas/#registration_hook.

On the plus side, always entertaining to see the revolving door cast of volunteers continue to churn.

daninstl likes this.
  7. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Advanced is not sold out. Links have been added. The same folks are still around, but when you grow, it's normal to add more help to make the events better.

You know where to take your snark.

daninstl likes this.
  8. LUFCG

LUFCG Silver Member

Status Points:
    I heard good things about a previous traveler event from a buddy of mine. He said he picked up good tips from hearing the speakrs in person. And did someone say free drinks on Friday night? I'm there.

daninstl and tommy777 like this.
  9. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am wondering why is this now being posted as the site goes live? Wouldn't it have been good to give some advance notice? I have had a hotel booked for a day now but no ticket..

10. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    There are still tickets available for both events. But only about 20 left for Advanced, so if you want to get in on it, please use the links above

11. Firefly
    Original Member

Firefly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Dave, you were in our email list but it bounced back. Please check your PMs so we can get an updated one in our system.

12. smsando

smsando Active Member

Status Points:
    Hey Y'all!

I purchased my FTU Advanced ticket this morning only to come home and find out from my fiancé that I’m supposed to be at a wedding in North Carolina that weekend! If you are interested in purchasing a ticket at to FTU Advanced at face value this morning and were unable to do so, PM me.

13. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    The definition on Breakfast should be spelled out.
    At the last 3 FTU Advanced, "Breakfast" was simply "Coffee Service" with a piece of coffee cake or roll.

In USA hotels, Breakfast is defined in two categories:
    1. Continental Breakfast - cold items - juice, cereal, slice fruit, yogurt, cold meat, bread items, coffee/tea.
    2. Breakfast - a buffet which includes Continental items plus eggs, hot meats, etc.

Without further clarification here, those with the hotel breakfast option due to status should likely take the breakfast option in lieu of bonus points, so you won't be disappointed.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  14. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    The breakfast will be the same in DFW: Coffee, tea, whole fruit and a selection of a few pastries.

While we would love nothing more than to offer a full hot breakfast and lunch buffet every day, the cost would greatly exceed the price of a ticket. Last quote I saw for 2x hot breakfast and 2x hot lunch plus a Friday evening reception was $225 per person.

15. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the response - sounds reasonable. Those that get free breakfast from the hotel can then make a decision about what they want when they check in. This was not really a complaint - more a suggestion for "wording".

I suggest that the term "Breakfast" in the agenda be replaced with "Coffee Service with fruit & pastry" so it is very clear what is being served. Folks here travel a lot and the term Breakfast has a certain meaning. Also most people interpret Coffee Service to include tea (which was included for non-coffee drinkers at all the FTUs).

The added whole fruit was an upgrade at DCA over the FTU's in ORD. For healthy eating whole fruit is a great option. Whole oranges and bananas work great for morning meal. Although you must admit - a whole Apple (which is good for you) is not what most people think of for "Breakfast" with their coffee.

16. gree0411

gree0411 Active Member

Status Points:
    Looking for a ticket to Advanced FTU Dallas. PM me. Thanks.

17. smsando

smsando Active Member

Status Points:
    Ticket sold. Thanks!

18. huntdealz123

huntdealz123 Member

Status Points:
    Anybody looking to sell a ticket for the Advanced FTU Dallas sessions? Please PM me. Thanks.

19. thebigeasytraveler

thebigeasytraveler Active Member

Status Points:
    Folks, anyone out there. I'm looking to score (at the cost) a ticket to the advance session(s). PM me.

20. garrym

garrym Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd also like to buy a ticket to FTU Advanced if anyone has one. Please PM me.

Thanks in advance!

21. HPaul

HPaul Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps one of the organizers would be kind enough to clarify the differences (other than upgraded meals and beverages) between FTU Normal and FTU Advanced. It’s unclear if the two will have completely separate sessions or some common sessions and some separate sessions. Thank you.

22. theforwardcabin

Status Points:
    They will have separate sessions, and the advanced sessions will be more intimate, since it is capped at the amount of attendees. The advanced sessions also cover more "advanced" topics, more than just the basic credit card information, etc.

23. HPaul

HPaul Silver Member

Status Points:
    Understood, thank you very much. Another one for the organizers. Should one have a ticket for FTU Normal and then have an opportunity to obtain a ticket for FTU Advanced, how much more (above the $149) would have to be paid? Thanks again.

24. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm too poor to pay the $149 right now but maybe the hotel should consider setting up a special room or tent to host THAT many elite's. Seems like a good marketing move to me.

25. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that the tix are different for the two events so there is no "upgrade" path where you'd get some money back. If you want FTU/A I'd focus on getting that. And buy FTU at the end (or if it gets close to selling out) should that become a more pressing issue.

But I am decidedly not an organizer, just a guy who is going to be there talking and telling stories.