Daily Meal's Annual Top 100 Restaurants in America List 2012

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by CharlesG, Mar 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.thedailymeal.com/101-best-restaurants-america

Okay, so we all know lists like these are highly subjective, and open for debate. There are a number of places I think probably should be on that aren't, and a few that are on that shouldn't be.

That said, lists like this are fun. And while you can argue some specifics, overall, the places on this list are top-notch. So, MP foodies... how many have you been to? Any additions?

I have only been to 35 of the 100 (pitiful!), but I semi-redeem myself by having eaten at 12 of the top 20. :)

My favorite meal (and I'm going on the whole experience) was dinner at Per Se, but I have had incredible dines at so many of the 35 I've been to on this list.

Interested in hearing what others think!

2. dc_traveler
    Original Member

dc_traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    An interesting list. You are way ahead of me. I have been to 16 of the 101 -- and need to count #101 or otherwise it's 15 out of the top 100. And only 4 out of the top 20.

Reasonable people surely can disagree about the list -- if I had to pick a local (to me) addition, it would be Komi in DC.

CharlesG and TheBeerHunter like this.
  3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sad to see only three spots in New Orleans, my favorite US city. And sadder still that two are Galatoires and Commander's Palace. While they are both fine places, they've both seen better days and served better food...and there are better places to eat in NOLA than these two.

EDIT: I can't count. I think NOLA had 4 (August and Cochon (a great place!) were on there too)

4. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess I have a new bucket list.

5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    list is far too focused on NYC!!
    I like these lists, makes me consider other places.
    #20 was the highest rated restaurant I've been to (Cochon in NOLA).
    having been to 1/3 of the restaurants on this list ins't pitiful, quite a feat actually.

6. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only if you can get to them all before the next list is out!

dc_traveler, CharlesG and chaz4449 like this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been to 19 on the list but I can think of about 30 restaurants that are better than some on this list.

Come on give me break ....Peter Luger in NYC or Joes Stone Crab in Miami???
    And how come Frontera Grill is on the list which is a poor(er) step-sister to the far better Topolobampo???:rolleyes:

8. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    35 is pretty impressive! I've only been to 5! I'm not into super-fancy restaurants and it looks like many are that on this list. I love that Ben's Chili Bowl & Katz's made it. Roberta's is awesome and I need to go back- to try the burger!

dc_traveler and CharlesG like this.
  9. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been to one for sure, and probably two. Until Olive Garden, or holes in the wall Mexican places are on the lust, my number won't increase.

dc_traveler and CharlesG like this.
  10. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jaimito, this article is for you then:
    http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/231419/
    :D

dc_traveler likes this.
  11. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me, it doesn't feel that way; food is such a central focus for me when I travel. Whenever I go anywhere, if I plan nothing else, I plan where to eat. A great meal is so intimate, and I truly appreciate when someone creates a meal for me.

It doesn't only have to be fancy places. Some of the best meals I have had have been in people's homes, at food trucks, in local dives. One of my favorite authors MFK Fisher sums it up quite beautifully:

'It seems to me that our three basic needs, for food and security and love, are so mixed and mingled and entwined that we cannot straightly think of one without the others. So it happens that when I write of hunger, I am really writing about love and the hunger for it, and warmth and the love of it and the hunger for it... and then the warmth and richness and fine reality of hunger satisified... and it is all one.
    There is food in the bowl, and more often than not, because of what honesty I have, there is nourishment in the heart to feed the wilder, more insistent hungers. We must eat. If, in the face of that dread fact, we can find other nourishment, and tolerance and compassion for it, we'll be no less full of human dignity.
    There is a communion of more than our bodies when bread is broken, and wine is drunk.'
    (from The Gastronomical Me )

Anyway, that's kind of my credo. And I love food.

12. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I know what I like. I sometimes eat fancy food in F. I might like it, but am much more of a comfort food type person. Good Mexican food, dim sum, BBQ and Italian, are all high on my list. I just don't get the $30 plate of food that has 3 bites of food on it.

No $1000 premium burgers, with 24k gold in it, truffles, etc, unless someone else is paying. :)

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  13. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Citronelle is awful, it shouldn't be on the list let alone at #10. And Ben's Chili Bowl, seriously?

CharlesG likes this.
  14. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The whole list is silly. I've eaten at maybe a quarter of the places,
    but I've also eaten at hundreds of restaurants that could easily match the
    quality of some of the ones included.
    I kind of like Citronelle, but not that much. Completely agreed about
    Ben's Chili Bowl, where they serve salty diner fare, though not bad
    for that (I took a FTMMer there for the experience, but then we went
    to Jaleo for food).

CharlesG likes this.
  15. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Perhaps I was overly dramatic. I suppose Citronelle is fine albeit quite inconsistent. It's certainly not the best place in DC. It's not even close to worth the price. And there's no way it's top 10 in the country, nor even top 50.

And agreed, Ben's Chili Bowl is fine as a diner. The chili isn't even great chili. If this were "top Diners in DC" fine. But this is supposed to be top 100 restaurants in the United States? That's just plain weird.

CharlesG likes this.
  16. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Four - woo hoo! But I think In-N-Out @ LAX should be on the list!

Ed74 and CharlesG like this.
  17. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're being a bit harsh on Ben's Chili Bowl. I guess to call it one of the top 100 restaurants in America is a bit much but I like how the list is not only featuring super-fancy places.

Oh- my wife and I did enjoy the food at Ben's. :)

CharlesG likes this.
  18. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    In 'n Out is better than Ben's.

CharlesG likes this.
  19. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    The voting — based on cuisine, region, and a number of specific factors, including formality (of food and atmosphere), level of "buzz," and price range — narrowed the list to 101.

It has to be based on the Buzz factor, but that being said I don't know why Georgetown Cupkake is not there (they have at least one table inside) - I see longer lines infront of that outlet than infront of Ben's...

CharlesG likes this.
  20. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't disagree with you on that statement... lol

Are they really good? I know they just opened one in Manhattan. I'll have to check it out one day.
    My favorite place for baked goods is Baked in Red Hook, Brooklyn. Awesome cupcakes, brownies, whoopie pies, cakes, cookies- pretty much everything they make is awewsome.

CharlesG likes this.
  21. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hey, I like In-N-Out fine, but I'd take 5 Guys or a good Fatburger first. I wish 5 Guys would have a good shake, though.

CharlesG and iolaire like this.
  22. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's probably debatable, to me no, same with Bens... I have to think that Bens won because of PR from Obama eating there, versus Georgetown which has a TV show, and provideds free product for all sorts of high end galas. buzz wise I believe Georgtown would win (but maybe not in the foodie world)...

Any way it's all subjective and the company building the list sets the winners..

CharlesG likes this.
  23. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I ate at Ben's before I ever heard of Obama and did like it. In terms of throwing a fast food place on a list like this, I would not be surprised if Obama visiting influenced it's selection.

CharlesG likes this.
  24. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just booked at table at Fearing's for my one night in Dallas.