CZ taxes/fees for a short inter-asia hop?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by broncob, Apr 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. broncob
    Original Member

broncob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello All-
    Currently I have a award trip booked for my two daughters and myself leaving MSP May 5th MSP-LAX-ICN (overnight-my choice)-PEK-MSP. Return begins May 16th all segments in First or BE for low tier (120,000). This was booked with help from a friendly MPer who gave me lots of suggestions and guidance (thank you!). I am pleased, but I admit it, I still check once in a while to see if I can get better times/planes, etc (DL? KE?). Here is my question: on my current reservation everything from LAX and back is on CZ (through CAN). Does anyone know how much CZ would charge in fees/taxes (roughly) on the ICN-PEK award segment alone? CZ seems to best the best option for the ICN-PEK segment-when I checked before I ran into trouble with blackout dates or various other what not on other skyteam airlines. I know the CZ's fees/taxes/etc are high. It was $353 taxes/fees each for these three tickets, but they are also TPAC's. Has anyone booked an award on CZ inter-asia who could give me a rough idea of what to expect? I booked these using DH's skymiles and although he will probably hit gold before we leave, he will not quite make it to PM, so the $150 fee would apply. However, that still gives me some room to maneuver and still come in below the current fees ($353). It looks like taxes and fees on a DL flight could range anywhere from $63-$85, so with the change fee I would be at about $213-$235 so if CZ ICN-PEK taxes came in under $118 or so, I could probably convince DH that is is worth it to make the switch (that is if I even find the award seats in low and I know that is a big if). Any advice would be appreciated...worst case, I stick with what I have and that's ok too :)

2. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember DL passes on the YQ/fuel surcharge of the operating carrier.

Your best bet is to call the diamond desk and ask to do a dummy cz booking one way on that route.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also remember that these charges can change rapidly. But I second the suggestion of just calling DL.

4. broncob
    Original Member

broncob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah-easier said than done. :( I have tried about a half dozen times with dates both close in and next fall (avoiding KE blackouts). They can't seem to find KE availability and CZ availability simultaneously. The closest I got was MSP-ICN (dl) ICN-PEK (cz) PEK-MSP (dl). The fees were $307!!! I don't know if that is mostly CZ b/c it does not look like DL's fees are that high when I play around w/dummy bookings online. Of course, I really want to know the fees if the TPAC portions are on KE, not DL, but I will just keep calling.

5. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL does not charge a fee on partner bookings. The fees are the OAL YQ's which are (unfortunately) called on AF/KL itineraries an "International Originating Surcharge" (or something to that effect).