CX, QF, BA and AA F compared, adding SQ A340-500 Business just for fun.

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by jbcarioca, Dec 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    During the last few days I have flown all four of these long haul. CX and BA were 744, AA 777 and QF A380. I have recently flown CX 777 and QF 744 also. To my dismay I have preserved no photos. (that is a silly story)

The seats:

CX- by far the most spacious with a 36" seat width and sybaritic comfort. This is the OW winner by a long margin IMHO. They happily give playing cards and other goodies. During my third SFO-HKG leg in a month one FA came and gave me three decks without me asking. The meal service and AVOD are all one can ask for. The bathrooms are quite large, plenty of room to change to the Shanghai Tang sleepers, but I do not much like the buttons required for the shirt. It is no accident that I keep choosing CX.

QF- While not so spacious as CX, the QF seat is 29" wide and is perfectly organized. The seat controls are complex and even has a dedicated controller that does AVOD, seats, lights and probably other things too, like a small moving map. The huge Screen also can show a bigger moving map if you don't like the small one. I keep the small one on the map and watch a movie on the big one. The fairly spacious lavs are a plus, although they are cramped in comparison with those of AF, SQ and LH the other A380's I know.

AA- Obviously old and 21" wide, but still feels spacious and is easy to use. It needs updating, sure, and the AVOD is obsolete (I do not use it) but the seat is comfortable and the new duvet and sleepers are very nice. I cannot be rhapsodic about the AA FC experience but I have no complaints.

BA- I commented on this one in the BA Forum. The new BA First is anything but. The seats are cramped, there is minimal legroom, the seat/multifunction control is reminiscent of the early BMW single controller that did everything but was incomprehensible. I had to constantly turn on lights to read instructions. Frankly, it would be fine in Club, but not F. They claim 32" wide but that is fiction, and may apply only at the head.

For non OW comparison:

SQ A340-500 business: This seat is 30" wide, in Business. It is huge! The aircraft only takes 100 seats, all business. Everything works easily and well and FA's are around to help with anything that seems amiss. I rank this just below CX F but above the others. No doubt, this business product also costs more than the others too. OTOH, if you want to go nonstop SIN-NYC this is the only way to do it.

Sorry about the lack of photos...

Princess Fiona, nime01, kiwi and 7 others like this.
  2. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice report. Thanks! So sorry we will miss you on OWMD :(

nime01, Jimgotkp and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too. I'll be using OW, but to MAD, suitable because I am angry that I cannot go on my first MegaDO.

nime01 and Jimgotkp like this.
  4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great review. I'm assuming you flew SIN-EWR paid?

nime01 and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, all these were paid flights.

nime01 and Jimgotkp like this.
  6. Kiwi Mile

Kiwi Mile Silver Member

Status Points:
    Were all three on the evening departure? I was on CX873 leaving at 12:05am on Dec 10th where I checked in on Dec 9th. Were you on my flight?

TravelMusing, nime01 and jbcarioca like this.
  7. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting comparison. We flew BA New First last month and didn't come away very impressed. The bathroom was what really hit us. It was so tiny and gave off zero vibes as being an aspirational experience. I did not like the positioning of the seats vs the windows, because the only way you can really see out is if you position yourself out of the seat.

Compared to the CX First bathroom. A window, full length mirror and plenty of room to get changed.

nime01 and jbcarioca like this.
  8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with your assesment of CX F pity you werent able to compare JAL F suites with the others.
    IMHO the service and most definitely the food (and wines) were better on JAL which in a way brings the entire experience a smidgen better than CX.. but that my opinion for what its worth.

nime01, jbcarioca and JALPak like this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, I was on that flight on the 4th, though. They were all evening departures.

I hear similar good experience from other people. I'll probably be able to try it early next year when I go to TYO. I am looking forward to that (the trip too).

nime01 likes this.