CX HKG > BKK (Bangkok) 330 vs 744

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by Travelman, Apr 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone had experience flying the 330 versus the 747-400 between HKG and Bangkok (BKK)?
    Which one do you prefer and why?

Looking at booking during October in Business. The 330 would be leaving at 21:55 (or 22:10 I've seen both times); the 744 would be leaving HKG at 14:25.

2. Chris_Li
    Original Member

Chris_Li Gold Member

Status Points:
    On B744 you guarantee to get the 2009 version of herrigebone seat. On A330 you are on hit and miss of getting a regional or long haul seat.

May be its just me I found it more comfortable on a regional J on shorter sector, but with B744 you can travel on the upper deck which gives a great experience.

As you mentioned in other thread you are arriving on CX 807, I will say both flights fits. Doing late departure gives you full day at BKK next day and doing 1425 gives you a morning to hit one or two spot in HK and head to BKK and enjoy night life there

3. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chris, this is good info to know ... thanks!

4. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    i agree with chris on the regional seat for regional flights. the herringbone just feels so weird when you're sitting up doing things. dont you also possibly get the new cirrus seats on 330s?

5. Book the Emirates A380. Its cheaper and WAY BETTER

6. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know ... however, i will be on an AAdvantage All Partner Airline Award which means Cathay Pacific (CX) since Emirates is not a partner airline.

7. Chris_Li
    Original Member

Chris_Li Gold Member

Status Points:
    The hours are odd though :-p

8. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    RJ is another choice not that I am saying they are better :p

9. Hour's maybe odd, but I can travel very cheaply on CX and I still buy A380 tickets for full fare from EK. It's THAT much better. Especially over the A330 which is likely going to be old BAD regional seats.

10. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    As always, be prepared for a last minute swap especially on a regional route. So even if you booked a 74A sector, you may still end up with a regional J. And October is still a long way from now so the chance of an equipment change between now to the date of the fight is quite high. ;) But in being a short flight, I wouldn't sweat too much on the equipment should an inferior cabin be the actual deployment.