CX awards in 1st lax-hkg seem to be easier to get on AA

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by smh88, Jul 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. smh88

smh88 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why is it Easier to get better awards availibity on AA vs BA for CX awards? Also 67.5k is better then 75k for 1way 1st!

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Is it? I've found AA and BA have the same access to CX award inventory.

67.5k is lower than 75k, sure, but consider, from the US-based perspective:

* BA miles are pretty easy to earn, e.g. there's been a 50% bonus on transfers from Amex Membership Rewards the last two months and it's the second Amex transfer bonus this year
    * The BA Visa earns 1.25 miles per dollar on spend
    * BA awards allow stopovers, e.g. in HKG, AA only allows stopovers at the North American gateway city
    * BA routing rules are more generous, AA will not allow you to fly CX to connect to Asia 1. No problem to use CX on a BA award to the same countries.
    On the other hand, you can combine multiple AA partners on a one-way AA award without bumping up the price. When you combine more than 1 partner on a BA award you get dumped into the distance-based chart that's more expensive.

Each program is different... ;)

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    And welcome to Milepoint! When I see your handle I think "Sydney Morning Herald" but am guessing that's not what the smh stands for :)