CX Award - Fuel Charges and Departure Tax

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by manfromkrypton, Jan 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

manfromkrypton Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was browsing some blogs, and I read that CX charges a fuel surcharge on award tickets, and there is also a departure tax from HKG of $100. Is the fuel surcharge only when you are doing an award from MP/AM program? I just got an AA award ticket for travel on CX, and my total tax was USD $34.50. That doesnt look to include the departure tax - is that paid in HKG?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME the departure tax was included in the ticket price, at least in recent years. If the tax is HK$100, this could well be included in taxes of US$34.50. I would call the airline and ask and then double check with your hotel concierge.

3. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    HKG departure tax has been collected on tickets for many, many years now. I don't even think there's any facility for paying it at the airport.

4. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    since the airport is moved to chek lap kok, taxes are collected upon ticketing. so the US$~12.5 is already inclluded in your taxes.
    The only rare occasion where one need to pay taxes in the airport is when you changed your layover from transit to stopover... and the airline collects is for HKAA/HKCAD.