CX Award - Almost got cancelled

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by NYC_Gal, May 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I have a heart attack this morning and just want to share my experience. My first ever CX F award almost got cancelled without my knowledge. :eek:

We were scheduled to fly out today. CX opened up the seats last second, so I changed flight. Got AA confirmation email, everything is set. Happy happy happy. 2 hours later, I checked CX.com & it still showed old itinerary. AsiaMiles.com also still show availability on this flight. Very odd. AA said it's CX's problem. CX told me I'm still on old routing, and to call AA back. AA said they don't know what else to do, call CX. CX said don't go to airport, now we don't even know who you are.

Queued heart attack. :confused:

1.5 hours later, it's resolved. After a change, AA must manually re-send the e-tix # to CX. Apparently it's very common problem according to an old FT thread. AA sends the award request to CX and thinks it's confirmed. CX OTOH thinks it's a new reservation and waits for the e-Ticket #. AA system never send that in. CX cancelled the tix after several hours. You go to the airport, CX doesn't have your seats, finger pointing, and you end up with no vacation.

I don't know how AA re-sends the # over. If that has to be done with a CX human being, that would be tricky during their holidays / off hours.

Bottom line : When you make a change, tell AA to manually re-send the e-Tix # (obviously some agents don't know this). Always check your itinerary on partner's website immediately, either you initiated the change, or plane change. Never assume. CX.com should have your new booking within minutes. If that didn't happen, it's not going through. If you don't follow up, your reservation will get cancelled.

Now I can go back to worry about the normal stuff, like what lounge to use...etc. Looking forward to my first ever CX F! :)

TravelBearTX and flacey8 like this.
  2. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've had this happen to me before... and it definitely is scary. AA just shrugs their shoulders and tries to pass off blame to CX too. (In my case, I was lucky when I caught it and got a great agent who followed through to get me seats - and actually got me a better flight than the one I'd changed too.)

Lesson learned... always check partner awards with both carriers. Don't assume AA has done everything they need to.

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Helpful post, thanks.

One trick I've used in similar situations is 3-way calling. Get agents from both carriers on the phone at the same time and reduces at least the ability for one to pin it on the other carrier.

jwsky likes this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I had this myself a year ago, changed everything and it was reflected properly at aa.com but not on the CX website and CX still showed the inventory I had supposedly taken. AA assured me everything was fine. Fortunately it was resolved easily on its own after about 6 hours, Wonder what would have happened if someone else had booked the still-available inventory in the interim.

5. BMI did this to me on a SQ ticket out of Auckland last year. Wasn't allowed to board.. Feck'n Call Center wasn't even open to get help from.

Good job sorting it.

and a early welcome to HK. I think my mate is flying you if you on the afternoon flight. If you're traveling interasia, you may be seeing me.. actually didn't I read you're going to China? I'm working the Shanghai tomorrow @ 3 if thats you.. come say hi!

6. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I cannot predict anything won't go wrong, I will only state what I know for now. :) I made two reservation changes to my CX F flights with an AAgent (exp line - both times with extreme paranoia due to this thread. :D ) Both went through the system quickly - first time I checked after 45 minutes or so.. . Second time, just a few minutes ago, went through to Cathaypacific.com under three minutes and the update was there. So they know.

I asked the agent about manual transfers. Mark (awesome guy - I owe him a milkshake) said they had access to CX (fwiw) and could hold the seats. Just my experience and ymmv.

7. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another data point. On my way back, the HKG agent said my tix status was 'refunded' and couldn't get me on the flights. This leg was part of the award (and not separate locator #). I haven't changed anything since the beginning of my trip. And I've checked CX.com about 5 days prior to flying and it said confirmed then. HKG agent had to call in & took about 15 minutes to resolve the problem. I really don't understand how the status is changed. And how I could have prevented it.

I found it odd that making a change on an award tix caused so many issues. Esp we're all used to switching flights due to last minute opening. *sigh*

8. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    After reading this thread, I very hesitantly called in this morning to change one segment in an award reservation from JL Y to CX C. Agent made the change, I haven't seen any confirmation email yet, but CX.com shows the additional segment now so I'm assuming I'm all set.

9. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually I have a similar situation, I made changes to three segments on an award yesterday (Saturday), two of the changes were on CX from Biz to First.

The changes show up in all the non-AA Record Locators along with the seat assignments that I have made.

The AA reservation that I see also shows the changes along with seat assignments I have made on CX;
    HOWEVER, the status that I see in AA.com shows ON REQUEST and we have not received a Confirmation email from AA, nor have the extra miles been deducted yet for the change from Biz to First Award ticket.

By the way, AA AAdvantage Agent made the segment changes; CX Agent made the Seat reservations on CX segments.

10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Not surprising, it means the reservation has been changed but the award hasn't yet been re-ticketed. Once the change is made it goes into queue. Yesterday AA.com at least was having lots of systems issues so perhaps they're a bit behind. Has the status changed yet on AA.com? I wouldn't be worried yet but this afternoon if it still shows up on request I would call..

DestinationDavid likes this.
  11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As a single data point, I changed my award two weeks ago and it took 6 business days to ticket. I called in to get an update halfway through and the AAgent mentioned he wasn't sure why it hadn't been re-ticketed.

12. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    If AA.com still lists my award ticket as 'Ticketed' and cathaypacific.com lists the new segment as 'confirmed', do I have anything to worry about?

13. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    You should be fine but if you want to be uber-cautious, ring up Cathay and ask if they are able to see the ticket attached to the reservation?

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My reservation said "Ticketed" while still on request. It keeps that status from the original ticketing I believe. It's when you go into the reservation that it still says "On Request". The "Ticketed" date will change once they finally ticket the new flights.

At least that's what happened for me.

15. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    My Award changes have finally been "Ticketed" but
    before I call the AAdvantage Desk, I would like some advice.

BACKGROUND
    One Record Locator with two passengers and the Award miles coming from one AAdvantage Account.

Changed two flights on an Award ticket from Business to First class on two CX flights, the:
    • origin and destination did not change,
    • actual routing itself did not change,
    • operating carriers used on the route did not change.
    What changed:
    • dates on three of four segments, and the
    • booking class on two segments (Biz to First).
    The AAdvantage agent mentionedthat:
    • would now be xxx amount of miles each (and I verified that means yyy more miles per person which was verified),
    • she needed my credit card number again for taxes of $51.40 each (times two passengers).
    The agent did NOT mention
    • anything else like re-deposit/re-draw fees.
    Therefore, what I expected was achange in taxes and a deduction of miles for the upgrade from Biz to First Award and nothing else since I thought i had read many times that the fee was not charged for "Upgrading" the booking class on an All-Partner Award.

However, we received two confirmation emails - one email per person rather than one email with both names on it (as the original ticketing receipt months ago showed) - indicating charges of $51.40 for TAX/CHARGE/FEE and $175 for AAdvantage Re-instatement. The Record Locator showed the same in each email but these charges showed under each person's name. So it appears that they are charging the re-instatement fee twice yet $175 itself should be for two people ($150 for first + $25 for second on same ticket/account from what I have seen in the research since then) so why the charge twice - once under each person's name?

QUESTIONS
    It seems like something is not right here ...
    Would I be correct to call to ask that the charges for AAdvantage re-instatement be waived since this is an "Upgrade" in Booking Class to using more miles?
    and if they do not waive them, then should I ask why has it been charged twice and why no indication of a refund of the $36.20 in original taxes each of us paid?

By the way, the AAdvantage account does now show that AA re-deposited all the miles back into one AAdvantage account and re-drew from the same account for the higher level award.

Thanks for any insights / experiences before I approach American ...

EDIT UPDATE:
    1) the $175 Re-instatement fee was refunded
    2) the original tax amount of $36.20 was refunded - had already been submitted by AA but had not shown up on my credit card yet when i orignally wrote this post

16. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, ok, I notice now that the ticketed date did change from the original to when I made the change, so I'm gonna assume I'm good to go.

17. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Time to play award change roulette again. Just tried to change from HKG-NRT-ORD to HKG-ORD; aa.com lists ticket status as "on request", cathaypacific.com shows confirmed and lets me select seats. Both websites show correct itinerary, awardnexus shows award availability went down by one. Now just waiting for the ticket to be reissued.

Edit to add: and now shows as ticketed on aa.com with new ticket number.

NYC_Gal and gleff like this.