CVS Vanilla Reloads Cash Only

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by TUMD, Mar 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have seen several of the blogs posting a picture that someone tweeted out of a CVS invoice listing pretty much all of the goodies they carry (VR, PayPal, etc.) as being CASH ONLY starting tomorrow. I am going to stop by my favorite ice cream shop today and see what they have heard about the invoice but I was wondering if others have inquired about this new policy? Will be good to know if this is regional or national.

http://hackmytrip.com/2014/03/are-vanilla-reloads-going-cash-only/

USAIRSBY and Kalboz like this.
  2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Odd rumor. It certainly has a ring of truth about it -- at least for those of use who've never been able to figure out how CVS isn't losing money on these transactions. Still, the "major" bloggers haven't picked the story up which strikes me as odd because the rumors have been circulating for a few days. MMS has it this morning, but he is out of the country and, I think, just reporting the rumors with no additional information.

I hope it's an early April Fool's joke but fear that it isn't.

USAIRSBY, Kalboz and TUMD like this.
  3. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I found it strange that I had not seen it mentioned on here and that some bloggers spoke of it but others did not. I like Scott's blog and consider it one my major reads each day which is why I am inclined to believe this. Over on Flyertalk their CVS thread in the MS section has pretty much exploded over the last day or so.

USAIRSBY, ariosto and Kalboz like this.
  4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, definitely not a joke as various reliable sources are now reporting direct experience -- they've seen the memo and cashiers are actually asking for cash today (although the register is still accepting the card transaction when the effective date of tomorrow is pointed out to the cashier). Here's Ed Pizzarello's report.

LETTERBOY, TUMD and Kalboz like this.
  5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is my report from the OC! :)

Went out last night to the neighborhood CVS after reading the said reports and got 10 cards. No problem and the manager on duty did not say a word ...

delff128 likes this.
  6. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No mention of this in KY whatsoever. The cashier had no idea what I was taking about when I asked her if a cash only transition was being implemented.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

travelpye, TUMD and Kalboz like this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went to a place in LA (the only one i've seen that even carries VR) and it is cash only now.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Went to 2 CVS stores in my town (Springfield, IL) and neither of them had any idea what I was talking about (cash only). One of the people I talked to was the store manager who happen to be working the register (and who I have chatted with many times before) and he said he had not heard of anything like that. So I'm not sure what to think now. Maybe it is being rolled out by region.

9. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was going to create a new post, but maybe this is my issue..... Today I made my first attempt to purchase the Vanilla Reload at CVS in Alabama with my new Citi Hilton Reserve Credit. I found the Vanilla Reload card, pictured here and went to the register. I know the guy who was ringing me up and he said he would try it for me. When I swiped my card, the screen on my terminal read "Transaction requires different payment method" or something like that. He asked for the card and tried to swipe it on his end. Same message on his screen. About 5 minutes later, I got a text message form Citi Fraud department asking if I attempted to make a purchase at CVS. I replied yes, and I got another message saying thank you and that my card was unlocked.

Did I do something wrong, or what may have happened? Like I said, this was my first attempt at purchasing a reload card. Is it strange that the fraud dept stepped in?

Thanks.

USAIRSBY and Kalboz like this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not IME. I had similar with an early purchase. Most people don't spend that much at a drug store so it isn't part of the normal transaction patterns.

Kalboz, travelpye, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  11. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I had a similar experience with my first AA Exec card a couple months ago.

Kalboz, LETTERBOY and vickers like this.
  12. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Makes sense, thanks.

Kalboz and LETTERBOY like this.
  13. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a normal fraud protection from Citi. You'll probably only get it the first time.

Kalboz and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've gotten it more than once from Chase. Probably because I don't buy VRs often enough :)

15. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably -- also I've only bought them from a single location, at least with that card.

Kalboz likes this.
  16. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Went to a third CVS in my area with my girlfriend (she recently got AA Exec and needs to meet the spend too) and this 3rd place also had no idea what I was talking about.

Kalboz likes this.
  17. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    Vr's disappeared from my area a few weeks ago. Several stores I frequented often no longer have the VR cards. I bought visa vanilla gift cards today w/ the pin function w/ a credit card though w/ no problem. I posted this on flyertalk and wow some of those people are jerks! So please be kind :)

Kalboz and travelpye like this.
  18. free67spirit

free67spirit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went this morning as well. I am very good friends with the manager. I bought 5000. He had no idea what memo. I will go in tomorrow and see if the computer will lock me out as the blogs have said will happen. I think it will happen but its going to be a trickle.

Kalboz likes this.
  19. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Heading to CVS tonight to stock up. I do live in a smaller town in the SF Bay Area. Ill report on my findings tonight. *fingers crossed*

Kalboz likes this.
  20. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rumor has it April 1, is the start of The April Fools Day, that CVS is giving for all the Serve Loaders and Bean a Buyers...

Did the Serve, passed on the beans, loved the Mint...started Dumpster ?Diving for the old Air Tran Wendy's Cups, many years ago...

All have been fun...and I still have a few tricks, it is just a way of keeping score....LOOKING FORWARD TO FTU Seattle, who knows what blows..

Kalboz likes this.
  21. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone know how long you can hold onto a VR card after purchasing it before loading it to BB?

Kalboz likes this.
  22. free67spirit

free67spirit Silver Member

Status Points:
    They only only you to deposit 1000 dollars daily. It will be another 4 days for me to finish out the 5. I put it on as quick as possible I am always nervous it won't be there.

Kalboz likes this.
  23. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the back of the cards it says that they are good for 12 months before they start deducting money each month.

Kalboz likes this.
  24. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's an understatement. One reason I don't go over there as much as I used to.

jmhuth, Efilon87 and vickers like this.
  25. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I joined there first, before I found milepoint. Needless to say, Im just here now.

jmhuth, Efilon87 and LETTERBOY like this.