CVS Scanning Driver's License to buy VR

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by chichiliano, Aug 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. chichiliano

chichiliano Active Member

Status Points:
    I live in the DC area and have still been able to find Vanilla Reloads from time to time at CVS -- still hit my 5k a month. Anyways, went to my closest CVS today and they scanned my DL. When that didn't work, they entered in ALL of the info off of my DL -- #, address, bday, etc.

I spoke with the manager who said that it was to make sure that people don't go over the "new" limit of 1k at a time. I have been to CVSs that say 1k a day is a limit, but have never had them scan my DL.

Any similar experiences?

2. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    They do the same to me at some places here in BOS. They also started doing $500 max at self scan registers for no good reason.

3. LeeInDC

LeeInDC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I live in DC as well. Have never had my DL scanned but I also haven't bought any since last Tuesday as I've been out of town. I'll check when I'm back later this week.

The second closest CVS to my apartment sometimes limits purchases to 1K a day but sometimes doesn't, just depends on the clerk and manager. The one that's even closer has never had a limit and I hope that hasn't changed. But it's only a couple blocks away so I'll survive even if they do now have limits.

4. chichiliano

Status Points:
    I tend to think it might just be a flukey thing. That said, I went to my go-to CVS for VR this morning, and after some random troubles of the employees locating the VRs in the giftcard box, when I went to purchase them, the guy swiveled the register monitor towards me displaying an error message. The message basically said to try again in a few mins. I wonder if this is isn't all related. I had no troubles two days ago.

5. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same thing happened to me for the first time last week in LA... hope it is not the beginning of the end...

6. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I live in KY and picked a few up yesterday with no mention of scanning my driver's license.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

7. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen it happen in many CVS in multiple states. First one doesn't trigger, second one does. I hit some type of error and it wouldn't let me buy two. I even had some proactive cashiers ring them up separately.

8. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    A scanner would be great. I've got gas stations that hand copy all of the information from my DL on the back of their copy of the receipt.

9. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    DC folks, not to hijack, but have you figured out when the VRs get delivered/restocked to CVS? I've mostly struck out in getting them.

10. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK, the DL scans happened at the same time the daily max went from $1k to $5k . . .

11. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:

Make sure the rack slot where they should be is empty. The clerks come by and scan the rack. If someone stocks the wrong cards in the VR slot, the scan never gets hit.

Even if there are VRs there, I'll sometimes move them down a row in the hopes the clerk will scan the barcode as if there were none.

12. sandratravels

sandratravels Member

Status Points:
    In Austin, Texas, Vanilla Reload cards are required to pay cash at Walgreens. I have not found any cards at my local CVS yet. I was not required to show my driver's license at Walgreens.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right - this new DL requirement is a CVS thing, not a VR thing.

14. chichiliano

Status Points:
    Takes some investigating on your own. Took me a while, but I have a few solid places in DC I can always count on to hiy my 5k for BB.