Cuts coming to BF meal service

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Jan 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Little cuts start to add up. These small things can't help in the overall with UA wanting to "win back" more business customers... Cut back on biz class catering again. Doesn't make any logical sense.

3. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm going with death by a 1000 paper cuts, where are you getting the word from?

rggale and mht_flyer like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have my sources. ;)

5. Food Wine and Miles

Food Wine and Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed that in the grand scheme of things this isn't that big a deal... but it's certainly not a step in the right direction

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't the old UA have just one appetizer offering?

7. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    How dare you make that assumption! Everything the old UA did was perfect and reflected the infinite wisdom of a well run airline. If pmUA only had one appeizer offering, it was the absolute right decision....so leave it to CO to come in and upset the order of things by adding a second option! Going down to one offering at this time has completely eroded the experience of sitting in First Class on an international flight and it just shows how much $misek has destroyed this once great airline!

Even though I have flown over 1,000 miles with this airline, I will be taking my $75 of yearly spend to your competitor......ISAIDGOODDAYSIR!!!

8. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    ::golf clap::

rggale likes this.
  9. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    ::bows::

10. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as the option being cut is the basically inedible smoked salmon, that's cool with me.

Don't get me wrong, I love good smoked salmon. But I've never had something I would even call passable on a UA flight.

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

8MiHi and sfo1 like this.
  11. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just another page out of the nickel & dime playbook

12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another reason to justify why I don't take United's premium product too seriously when I can take someone else better.

mht_flyer likes this.
  13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is United's way to try to do something about the 'epidemic of obesity' that's got health care professionals in America and most affluent countries concerned :D. Would this make a difference? 'Fat' chance since only a very small fraction of the population can afford to travel or travels in BF. This also means that the trimming of the appetizer course is not likely to be economically beneficial to the company, making it a real puzzle as to why they are even bothering to do something with no apparent financial benefit that is only likely to have the type of negative reaction that we are seeing here among those who pay attention...

KenInEscazu likes this.
  14. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    One step closer to the Burrito being the only meal choice in TPAC and TATL Business on UA.

15. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I don't get worked up by this, in practice on my BF flights you were able to get both appetizers, and often they were tasty and healthy as compared to the main course.

UA had better keep the hard product at state of the art, as the soft product is sub-standard.

In other news, the power did not work on my two most recent sCO 764 flights in BF.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We must be flying on a different UA hard product. It is decidedly not state of the art or even best in class. There's also the little part where they've indicated they intend to stay very much middle of the road with regard to hard product due to the costs of always being brand new and amortizing the seat costs over time.

CGK and mht_flyer like this.
  17. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well they are ahead of AA in implemented product, and ahead of DL to the extent that on UA it's about 98% probable that you'll have lie-flat vs. closer to 50% on DL. And ahead of implemented LH, AF, most JL etc. For practical purposes today when you book UA C on an iternational itinerary you will have lie flat, and that's not true on that majority of competitor brands. But you are right, this advantage will erode as others implement lie flat more broadly, and the newer products being implement have advantages over both sUA and sCO lie flat. For me lie-flat is more important than the food or aisle access.

Food Wine and Miles likes this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I guess I just don't see "flat=state of the art" as a reasonable metric. Flat is better than not, of course, but to say that the SQ flat C and the sUA flat C are the same is quite a stretch. You can probably fit 2 UA seats in the SQ seat of some aircraft.

19. Food Wine and Miles

Status Points:
    Agreed that I wouldn't consider UA "state of the art" simply due to the abundance of flat bed seats, however I also agree with Seacarl that they're ahead of the other domestic carriers (for now). I guess it depends on how you define the consideration set:

On a global scale = not state of the art / best in class...
    On a US-only scale = arguably "best in class" (for now)

20. Food Wine and Miles

Status Points:
    Definitely with you on this part!

21. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what happens when one defines business class as 2-4-2.

22. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, that was what the awful looking thing on the plate from FRA to SFO was, it was gross looking

Misplaced Texan likes this.
  23. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have flown DFW-SAL-SJO twice in the last week on Taca. The meal service in Taca BC is miles ahead of that on UA. The DFW-SAL flights were both on E190s, and they had a nut mix, a salad with a grilled chicken breast and cheese cubes, lite ranch dressing, hot, fresh bread, and a main course that they call Ñukis - sort of like ravioli, but with a thicker shell and brown sauce that is absolutely delicious. They offered a beef main course as an option, but I love the Ñukis. I was too full to eat the chocolate cake for dessert, but it looked delicious.

The seats are more comfortable than any I've ever flown on any USA based carrier. They hand out Bose QC-15 headsets that are sanitized, and offer a reasonable variety of programming.

I've met some wonderful FAs on UA, so I don't mean to cast too broad a net, but the FAs on Taca treat everyone in Clase Negocios like royalty. It's almost uncomfortable they're so attentive. Living in Latin America makes me a lot more accustomed to the machismo societal difference, but it doesn't keep me from appreciating the fact that they only hire very attractive FAs. The women are gorgeous (although too young for me - darn birthdays), and the men are almost as handsome as me. ;)

Finally, the one hour flight from SAL-SJO on an A319 has yet another meal service. No options, but it's roast beef, Caprese Salad, lettuce, ranch dressing, hot, fresh bread and a dessert that is sort of like tres leches, but with a layer of hard chocolate across the top. All of it is delicious.

I'm not one who whines about the food or in flight service on UA, but the difference is just too broad to go without comment. Clase Ejecutiva passengers board first and are allowed time to get settled before the economy passengers can begin boarding. Copa is similar, minus the IFE on most flights. I'm just stunned that two Latin American airlines offer such incredibly superior premium amenities to those of my home country - USA - which has such a reputation for being the best of everything. Frankly, it saddens me that we no longer live up to our old reputation.

24. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Obviously the world's leading airline does not need to offer best of class appetizers in their Business "First" cabins.

Meanwhile, Delta today announced new amenity kits featuring cases made by Tumi which will contain products by Malin+Goetz's:

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1873

Flyer1976 likes this.
  25. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm seriously starting to wonder whether the U.S. customers are unwilling to pay for outstanding premium class service and amenities because they don't exist on U.S. carriers, or if the U.S. carriers' have focused so much on the bottom line that they in fact created a market unwilling to pay for outstanding premium class service and amenities.

I ask myself, "Would I be willing to pay more to fly Taca Clase Ejecutiva from DFW to ORD if it were an option against AA or UA First Class service?" Many times the answer would be yes.