Customs at IAH?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by timfrost, Mar 10, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am traveling to Bonaire in April. UA notified me (didn't get an e-mail, just found it when I logged in) that there had been some schedule changes. Not unexpected as I booked way back in June and haven't paid close attention since then. I do have Global Entry, but the schedule change has left me with 1'34" between planes at IAH to clear customs and make the next plane. Is this reasonable? Possible? Should I call and ask for the next later flight IAH-LAX?

Newscience likes this.
  2. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plenty of time. Are you checking bags? That may make it a little tight if you come in during all of the international arrivals.

There is rumored to be a PreCheck line at the immigration security check but if you want to be sure, exit like you are leaving the airport. You will see escalators to the left, go up one level and go through PreCheck there.

Flyer1976 and Newscience like this.
  3. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll echo Hartmann's notes and offer that the lines may look absolutely horrendous, but there is a Global Entry only exit lane for customs after baggage claim. It used to be on the right side, then it was on the left, then it was back on the right last time I went through, but it does exist so if the lines for customs are huge, seek that out and you'll have plenty of time to make your connection.

4. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely agreed.
    The GE lanes for Customs are very quick.
    And use the other tip given by @Hartmann ....after customs, make sure you clear security where there is TSA pre.

5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    should not be a problem. I cleared through there very quickly on my last trip, including baggage.

6. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent. Thank you for the advice. I will have a checked bag - need one bag for clothes and one bag for dive gear... no way to pack lighter! :D

Flyer1976 and snod08 like this.
  7. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    The GE was very quick; took about 20 minutes to get our checked bags and then we were on our way, but I made the wrong turn at the exit and had to go through the horrendous normal security line. As a result I had to run to make my connection, which was subsequently delayed by a mechanical problem and I had time for lunch anyway. :D

Thanks for the help!