Customersolutions@united.com being replaced by "Ask Alex"

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Travelsavant, Mar 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note: If this issue has been posted elsewhere, please move to correct thread.
    "Thank you for contacting United Airlines. Your email has been forwarded to the appropriate team for handling. Due to technology changes related to the United-Continental merger, please note that this email address will be discontinued effective 7 April. (This is for reference only; as indicated, your message has reached the appropriate department and there is no need to resend.) After 7 April, should you have general questions, please visit united.com and consult "Ask Alex", our virtual expert. If you would like to share feedback regarding a travel experience, please contact Customer Care at united.com/feedback. We appreciate your business and look forward to hearing from you."

On Mileage Plus account issues, I've had pretty good luck with the MP Customer Solutions group over the years and it will be sad to see it disappear. It is especially disappointing as the replacement is an automated response system.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Golfingboy, snowpuff and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    1k email also replaced by Ask Alex.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure, assuming they can route the question appropriately. But I also think it is far better to actually have a point of contact than just the Ask Alex functionality. ;)

6. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was proven to be bunk on TOBB.

7. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well since the 1K Voice email is on the new cards, I don't think any proving was necessary...

8. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was a CO customer before, and I never, ever - not one time - got an answer of any value whatsoever from the Ask Alex feature. It needs to go away and be replaced by a live chat or a phone that is sufficiently staffed. Bean counters don't seem to be able to count the value of customer relations.

I have still been able to get through to the OP Elite line. As long as that continues, then I'll be OK, but I would not be OK with being an occasional flyer who needed to ask a question and get a real answer. I know that the airlines all want us frequent fliers for obvious reasons. I wonder, however, what the value of infrequent flyers is as a total percentage of their business. It can't be insignificant.

I don't know about the other FFs here, but I was an infrequent flyer before I became a frequent one. Any memory one had of prior customer service quality would clearly impact one's choice of airline as the frequency increased. My favorite sales trainer taught me long ago to treat everyone I meet as if they might be worth $1,000,000 to me one day. I'm not as good at that as I would like to be, but I rarely forget it when dealing with any customer of any size.

al613 likes this.
  9. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alex has p:)inted me at things I was looking for on the web site that I knew were there but that I couldn't find. Alex is of absolutely no use for anything else.

Posing absurd questions to Alex does result in far more fun than a lengthy wait on hold for a CS agent who is similarly incapable of answering my questions.

LETTERBOY, Gtitan, ssullivan and 2 others like this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It depends on what the questions are. For simple things, like baggage allowances, check-in times and lounge locations it is fine. And those are the types of questions most customers have. For complicated things, like the earning rates of a partner flight booked as a third party ticket on a discount fare basis, it seems no one at the company has the answers.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    So a search engine, but with more overhead, huh?

LOL

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about a simple thing like a phone number for/contacting web support? G'head, ask Alex-I triple dog dare you ;)

AZjohn likes this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

I have no idea if there is a dedicated phone number anymore, but they certainly tell you how to get in touch with them if you ask. Note that Web Support is listed twice in the answer section provided.

TAHKUCT and LETTERBOY like this.