Customer Service Help

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by benjiM, Oct 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. benjiM

benjiM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello all,
    I had a bad experience with United at SFO at the beginning of August. I'll spare you the entire story. I arrived over three hours early. Airport was a ZOO! Security line went almost the entire length of the ticketing area (both sides). My flight was delayed because they were waiting on the incoming plane. Since I was early, I paid for Lounge access for 2 (my GF and I; on same confirmation number). Found out we were so delayed, we were going to miss our connection in Denver to Wichita. United Club representative couldn't rebook us on confirmed seats through Denver for 2 days because the flights were sold out. She eventually found us routing from SFO to LAX to ORD to ICT. We arrived 12 hours later than originally scheduled after flying throughout the night. Our bags were not there. We were told by the United agents there that we would have to come back later, after the next flight from Denver landed or wait until that night for the bags to be delivered.

I contacted United on August 18th and Sept 27 via their online customer care form. I have not received any communications from them other than the confirmation email. I reached out to United Insider on this forum via PM and tried United on twitter via PM. No response.

I don't know what kind of compensation I am due (was my missed connection and subesquent reroute a "denied boarding"?) or what I should try to get. It was extrememly inconvenient and upsetting to spend nearly 24 hours trying to get from SFO to ICT. I would also like my club fees refunded because after the agent rebooked me, we had to leave the lounge immediately to change terminals to make our flight.

What should I do? Are there any other customer service avenues I haven't tried?

Thanks for helping out a United and frequent flyer world newbie! :)

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which URL did you use?

benjiM likes this.
  3. benjiM

benjiM Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. benjiM

benjiM Silver Member

Status Points:
    How long should it take? It has been almost ~8 weeks since the first contact, and ~3 weeks since the second?

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It shouldn't take that long. That said, what do you want from them? Did you specifically ask for something or just vent that you had to deal with a reroute? I know you'd rather get the money back for the lounge passes but reality is that you actually used the resources available there and got value for the spend. I'm not so sure you actually are due the money back.

8MiHi and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. benjiM

benjiM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I bought the lounge passes under the assumption that I had over an hour until boarding and would be able to use the lounge facilities besides the customer service desk. I knew my flight was delayed, so that is why I approached the customer service desk first, just to check on things. While I was standing in line and then with the agent the flight was delayed twice more and guaranteed a missed connection. By the time the agent finally found a route home for me, I had been in line/at the desk for over half an hour. As I stated, I then had to rush to a separate terminal (the routing involved a flight out of SFO on AA) to check in and make the new flight.

While I did receive service in the club, the service I received was simply repair of their errors and was not different from what is provided outside the lounge except for maybe less of a wait. I don't believe I received $100 of extra service.

That said, can you tell me what I can do about the lack of response?

I want my lounge passes refunded in the least and possibly compensation for the delayed arrival, inconvenience of the routing, increased cost to me (surviving in airports for 16 hours longer than expected, parking costs etc), and delayed arrival of my bags. What is reasonable?

8. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delays happen when you travel. The system has definitely improved over the years (I have many stories of more substantial delays from the 80's). While it depends somewhat on the original cause of the delay, the fact that the airline made a diligent effort to get you to your destination as soon as possible makes me believe that you are unlikely to be owed any serious compensation. However, if it was their decision-making for their convenience that led to your delay, you may get some denied-boarding type of compensation. I am concerned that they have not gotten back to you, so follow up.