Current State of ps F?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by BenjaminNYC, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Greetings.

I have transcon F flights coming up, currently booked in AA First (three class / AFS). I took the same service a few weeks ago on a dinner flight, and it was pretty good. Better than I remember my last ps F flight being, given all the cutbacks. Plus, I do like the widebody, and AA has nice Flagship lounges on both ends. But, this is for cash, so I could chose UA (or VX, but that's a good J product really) if I wanted to. I have no UA status anymore [​IMG] so I'm only basing my decision on quality of product.

So my question is: What is the current state of ps F? Have they improved it from the nadir I saw it in on my last flight? Is it still one FA for all 12 pax? What about the soft product and IFE?

Looking forward to hearing any recent experiences.

-BJ^^^

2. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    It may sound harsh, but I'd say that the current state of p.s. F is abysmal. The cuts are still there in full force. To name a few: one FA for the entire F cabin, meals served on a tray, and same meal as in business class (and same menu too, it's not like F even gets additional choices.) In terms of IFE there are indvidual portable media players with a range of movies and entertainment options--I don't really care about IFE personnally and have no complaints in this regard. As for the F seats, they are definitely starting to look tired.

What's nice about p.s. F is the ability to checkin with intl First class and use IFLs (although the SFO is not convenient, location wise, since p.s. flights depart from T3) and, maybe, sligtly more privacy overall.

Personnally I'd stick to C, I just don't find F to be a significant upgrade anymore. p.s. business is a pretty strong product in my book with reclining seats, an international style meal service, and since recently, lounge access.

3. Thanks, Pat. That's what I thought. I get the general sense that UA doesn't seem to care about making ps F something special anymore. Yet they still want $2600++ each way., which I find obscene. Since I'm spending money for this trip, why would anyone do it on UA? The AA product is somewhat better, it seems. What about the VX product for much less?

sithlord likes this.
  4. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:

He's alive, he's alive! PS C last year was pathetic, IM(nsh)O, and I don't think F is any better. I think the seat in C may be a bit more comfortable than F. I haven't flown VX up front except for a very short flight, but the seat is really nice, and the IFE is fun. For a possible trip later this year, if I can't confirm a UA CR1 at a decent price on SFO/JFK, I'm tempted to just fly MCS on VX for under $1K RT and hope for a paid upgrade during the window. If not, a touch screen where I order free drinks and food and have a myriad of entertainment, with legroom similar to 2 cabin F (albeit narrow, and not so personalized) - I'm tempted.

5. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew PS C a couple of weeks ago. Nothing in either the C or F cabins has changed. it's just as y:(u remember it.

sithlord likes this.
  6. The standard of service is still well below where it used to be. I flew PS F last week (it was too cheap to pass up, else I would have been in C), and it was not an overwhelmingly positive experience... sigh...

7. Sad stories. UA has really dropped the ball here. Now I know why I went from a five year in a row GS to a GM in a year. :(

sithlord and why fly like this.
  8. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI, there has been a change, albeit slight, in the p.s. IFE product.

UA has finally introduced new personal video players on p.s. flights in First/Biz.

Sadly, seems that the only plus to the new player is a slimmer profile. Judging from the number of call buttons pushed and comments overheard on my recent flight, these new players are plagued by an equal, if not increased number of technical glitches.

Finally, fwiw I prefer p.s. Biz over F, no matter what the ticket costs

9. ps sucks now for sure, but one thing I'll never understand is people saying they prefer C over F. F is still better, IMHO.

sithlord likes this.
  10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The seats are more comfortable for some, even though F gives you some more personal space. I would take F over C, but not by a wide margin, and I didn't love the F seat when I once had one.

11. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flew PS F a couple weeks ago out of LAX and service was horrid as was the food. The media player is a joke. Had an even more horrendous flight back on CO in F from EWR on a 737 without an entertainment system and the worst F seat I have ever flown on.

12. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's really unacceptable that CO schedules these aircraft on transcontinental flights when there are 130+ 737-800/900/900ER elsewhere in the system fully outfitted with LiveTV/power throughout. I understand CO's dogged insistence on complete fleet homogeneity, but scheduling these aircraft on premium routes with a great deal of paid first class traffic is a poor reflection on what is otherwise a quality product.

13. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's just it -- C:rolleyes: doesn't see this as a premium route. Instead, it's just another domestic city pair. It will be interesting to see what happens to PS after the carriers are integrated, and whether EWR-SFO/LAX service changes at all.

sithlord likes this.
  14. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that's entirely true. EWR-LAX/SFO attracts a higher percentage of paid F and Y/B/M fares than other transcons and most domestic city pairs. CO caters the flights a bit more 'richly', and when transcontinental F meal service first got the ax, LAX/SFO stayed pat.

It's not unreasonable that CO could avoid dispatching to LAX/SFO its latest 737 deliveries which, by all accounts, have a subpar (though temporary) product in both cabins.

15. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flew p.s. F JFK-SFO last November. The tenderloin served for dinner was amazing (for an airplane meal of course). But indeed, it felt like a business class service with nicer seats.

Here is the menu from that flight (clickable).

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Food and beverage menus (clickable)

[​IMG]
    Appetizer

[​IMG]
    Main course - pan-seared tenderloin with morel sauce (was great!)

[​IMG]
    Dessert

A warm cookie was served before arrival. As for the seats, didn't notice significant wear, but they always appear as a poor man's version of SQ SpaceBed's to me :)

FriendlySkies and asmithLHR like this.
  16. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was told by the crew that it was a temporary seating configuration. The crew wasn't happy to have to do the safety demonstration in person. Complained to UA about the missing inflight entertainment system as it was a UA ticket and got a $350 voucher.

17. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Even DL has the SFO/JFK as premium, by DL standards. I've never flown them on the route, but it wouldn't take much for a DL meal to be "premium" above and beyond the standard slop.

18. well I guess I will try the AA service coming home in July... :)

sithlord likes this.
  19. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Delta premium service JFK-SFO,JFK-LAX is better than Ua's or AA's service imho. Vx service is great although no elite points to really be earned.

20. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. CO ordered these aircraft with Koito seats, which fell victim to the scandal involving the falsification of safety data. As a result, they were 'seatless in Seattle' (BFI) for several months while CO and Boeing worked to source replacements. Several shipsets of Weber seats owned by Boeing and leased temporarily to CO and the aircraft were delivered. Consequently, CO's LiveTV system and 110V power cannot be installed until new seats are available.

Row 1 has a ton of legroom, but that's probably the only redeeming quality about these temporary seats.

Deacon Flyer likes this.
  21. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    BJ,

Welcome to MP, good to see you here you are one of my teachers on early day at FT. Looking forward seeing your posts.

22. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Wow - no IFE on a transcon...kind of reminds me of US Airways....

23. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    And that F seat would be Alaska's F seat which they unfortunately use on all of their 73Gs and 738s.

24. I had that weird CO seat the other day MEX-EWR. It's horrid. The FA said it's temporary, and it's the "standard Boeing ex-factory config." She said they're waiting on the design of a new seat, so they didn't bother to install the current standard F seat on these planes.

Oh my god, that is totally C from a few years back. They use a tray now in F????????????

Yeah, the DL product looks nice, and that's just J.

Yeah, why did they give row 1 so much legroom, and the others so little?!?

25. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes they do.

Not sure if C is as nice now as a few years back though - a year ago or so I read about UA considering BOB meals for C. Not sure what became out of these plans.

asmithLHR likes this.