Current RTW pricing

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by Blumie, Aug 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Blumie
    Original Member

Blumie Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's been a few years since I did a RTW, so I'm a little rusty. Looking to book an AONE3, probably ex-TLV. What other cities currently are good for RTW fares? Also, do I need to have a TLV travel agent ticket this for me, or can the AA RTW desk do it?

savydog likes this.
  2. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you checked South Korea?

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I noticed yesterday that the links I used to have for checking the RTW fares from the OW website are dead. Did they move or are they completely gone now unless you actually go through the booking tool and plug in a specific itinerary?

4. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The AA RTW desk is still the gold standard, although there are some newer agents who sometimes give out wrong answers or who aren't familiar with the Byzantine rules and standards. However the online tool for Oneworld Explorers is generally pretty accurate, albeit with some glaring glitches here and there.

At the moment, the cheapest origin points (in USD) for AONE3s are Israel, Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and... Sudan. In the case of Israeli origins, I would play with the online tool first to see what the bottom line is, and/or then phone the RTW desk and arrange for the ticket to be issued by AA's GSA in Tel Aviv, Tal Aviation (an Israeli company that does AA GSA work in various places throughout Europe also.) Tal is very good and IIRC doesn't charge a service fee (maybe $100 in most other instances) for AONEx bookings. Note that with an AONEx booking originating in TLV, your first segment (if you want first class) would have to be with BA, in which case using the online tool the ticket would be issued by BA, consequently incurring BA's fuel surcharges throughout.

If you originate in AMM, you can have AA issue the ticket on RJ's behalf online, with potentially a much lower bottom line, since fewer fuel fines would be added compared to BA-issued tickets. But there's no first-segment F if one originates in Jordan, just RJ metal in J.

They're gone unless you go through the online tool drill. Oneworld ran afoul of country-specific laws regarding full disclosure of fees and taxes for online airfare advertising. Since the RTW and multi-continent products have fee/tax structures that vary with every itinerary, there was no way they could show all the permutations online, so they just yanked them. You can still see the "base" fares on KVS or ExpertFlyer, however, or of course any GDS.

whkento likes this.
  5. Blumie
    Original Member

Blumie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did my last RTW ex-ICN, but it's no longer a bargain.

savydog likes this.
  6. Blumie
    Original Member

Blumie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the very helpful post. I know it's entirely dependent on the itinerary, but approximately how much in fuel surcharges would you estimate a BA-issued ticket adds? Also (and I apologize for the naive question), can I assume AMM is a safe place for Americans (and Jewish Americans) to fly in and out of?

savydog likes this.
  7. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since AMM is served by LY and TLV by RJ, it's no big deal - you could even do a sterile transit inside security.

As for the surcharge business, the easiest way is just to dial in an itinerary using the online tool and see what comes up on the final (pre-purchase) screen. It will of course depend on your route and how many UK APD extortion payments you incur, but for example just now I priced the following itinerary (DONE3) as a test - TLV BA LHR AA DFW AA SEA AA JFK AA NRT CX HKG AY HEL AY MAD IB TLV - and the tool gave me a taxes and fees total of $1257, of which $1050 was YQ. I don't think there would be much difference in taxes/fees for an AONE3 vs. a DONE3 but not sure.

I then swapped AMM RJ MAD AA DFW... (same) with the same dates and the total taxes/fees were $535, of which YQ was $317. Fairly major difference.

8. Blumie
    Original Member

Blumie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow! Hello AMM!

savydog likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sagy, DestinationDavid and edog22 like this.
  10. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would HKG-JFK-LAX-SYD-BKK-HKG be allowed under these rules?
    FOR -CIR22 AND CIR26 FARES
    TRAVEL MUST BE VIA THE NORTH/CENTRAL PACIFIC IN
    ONE DIRECTION AND THE SOUTH PACIFIC IN THE OTHER
    DIRECTION OR VICE VERSA. ONLY ONE NORTH/CENTRAL
    PACIFIC CROSSING AND ONE SOUTHWEST PACIFIC
    CROSSING PERMITTED. TRAVEL ORIGINATING IN OR
    INCLUDING SOUTH AMERICA IS NOT PERMITTED.

11. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes - HKG-JFK is via the north Pacific (or North Pole, as it happens) and LAX-SYD via the south Pacific.

12. Sagy

Sagy Gold Member

Status Points:
    By downloading fare data from from Wandering Aramean website. I was able to update the OneWorld RTW spreadsheet to have current price data again. I uploaded version 0.9.8d to provide support to this new functionality.

If you run into issues, please report them here.

Thanks,

Sagy

BrewerSEA likes this.