current eqm price

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Photonerd71, Apr 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anybody know what the current rate is for buying the extra eqm's? That last one i had was 13cpm and that was in Feb.

And please don't turn this into a "its not worth it" or "that's too much money" thread. I'm just curious on the latest rate not everyones opinion on buying them.

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Paid ticket, domestic:

Purchase 10,344 Miles $290
    Add Premier Accelerator for $1,035 more

(12.8c/mile)

Award ticket, int'l:

Purchase 13,376 Miles $268
    Add Premier Accelerator for $1,338 more

(12.0c/mile)

3. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Thanks desamo. I guess it is about the same. Positive is it hasn't gone up......negative is it hasn't gone down either.

Blue Skye likes this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm being offered 12,102 EQM for $1,211 or 6,051 EQM for $606 (10.01 cpm) on an upcoming domestic MR. I would call 2 cents less a significant difference, though still high. I don't know if it has anything to do with being 1K already and on-track for re-qualification.

Edit: Oh wait, I just realized that I didn't include the cost of the RDM, too. My bad. I guess I'm getting 12.5 cpm, too.

Blue Skye likes this.
  5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be interested in figuring out why the RDM portion is pricing differently so maybe I could be more predictive about it.

6. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    I think i got some last year around 8cpm. (Needed a few to top off to silver before a trip. Even got upgraded on the way home because of it).
    I guess if it stays around 12.5-13, while not good, at least it's consistent for planning purposes.

Blue Skye likes this.
  7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's nice in the sense that AA is giving status to anyone with a pulse, and United is making you work for it. So in theory it should make upgrades a little easier.

desamo likes this.
  8. Photonerd71

Status Points:

I'm guilty myself over at AA. Being a TX resident its hard not to take advantage (no pun intended) of those double eqm promotions. But living in Houston UA is just so much more convenient. I just wishbone didn't like flying and travel so much, would be so much easier on my bank account.

9. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be nice if UA picked up on those AA promotions... :(

Blue Skye likes this.
  10. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, but why should they. No other airline is picking up the ball either.

11. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    No one else really could. As best I can tell, the promos were a response to VX's SFO-ORD -- both important cities for UA.

desamo likes this.
  12. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    But you can't buy extra eqms on AA, so it probably balances out in the end. Cash at high cpm on any route or a few set hub to hub routes during a set tine frame and only if you live in state x,y or z.

13. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    From a consumer's perspective, but not AAs. Many of the DEQM promos are on routes that they're already putting on sale due to competition. It reminds me of my rule never to buy anything at Banana Republic unless it's at least 30% off. When it comes to flying, apparently you shouldn't travel with AA unless you're earning at least 2X EQM with 10% off and a discount fare.

redwoman likes this.
  14. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    coming to report that i noticed a BIG increase on a ticket i have had for awile. i was planning on doing the 3X for a TATL flight next month. previously (i know it is stupid expensive/not a good cpm) for this flight it was listed as $1766 for the add'l 14708 miles: RDM/EPM.

today the same flight, for 3X RDM/EPM, is pricing out at $2880 :eek: and for some reason they are rounding the mileage gained from the original 14708 to 24K. i am not sure what is going on, or how/why this changed so much. have i missed some new rules/info?

redwoman likes this.
  15. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, my options are the same...anywhere between 2 cpRDM to 2.8 cpRDM, with a 10cpEQM kicker.

16. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    i guess, technically, the RDM/EQM hasn't changed from the previous cost but seeing a jump in cost did cause me a lot of :eek: ! will see if it comes down, but i am not holding my breath. now i have to contemplate settling for Gold vs. aiming for 1K again. *sigh*

17. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's usually pretty reasonable fares to Asia around Thanksgiving. A couple of those (RT) will bump you up 25,000 EQMs.

Blue Skye likes this.
  18. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't SHARES be able to implement dynamic pricing on this to tailor to individual customers travel patters and needs, and fluctuate price until it starts selling?

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    SHARES directly wouldn't but that's OK because functions like this actually live outside the core PSS in the ancillary systems which are so easily integrated into SHARES. And, yes, they can theoretically have variable pricing based on what they know about you and your travel patterns, but the DoT requires them to publish the rates. And with the published range the folks willing to look are unlikely to buy at the higher end of the range. Then again, no one would ever actually look.

Historically they have jacked the prices up like crazy at the end of the year so they are already doing some of the dynamic pricing functions today.

20. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed this same issue with a res that I had made months ago. The PQMs are still pricing at about 10 cpm and the RDMs at <3 cpm, but instead of offering me 2x or 4x (not 3x as a triple mile offer should have been) the actual base miles for the itin as it had since system conversion, I am being offered very large round numbers of miles. For example, the 2x offer was originally 10048 RDMs/PQMs (5024 itin base miles ). As of about 2 weeks ago, the 2x offer is 12000 RDMs/PQMs and the 3x offer is 18000 PQMs/RDMs.

However, I took a peek at a reservation for my GM brother. His PQM/RDM offer is the "original" 2x or 4x multiple of his itin's base miles, as the system had been offering since system conversion.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I looked at a 2036 mile RT. The Accelerator is offering me

6000 RDM for $180, add PQMs for $600
    9000 RDM for $270, add PQMs for $900

22. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    i did one of those in 2010, and while awesomely cheap for what you get, it is quite grueling b/c i don't have the time to actually enjoy Singapore. :(

this is what shocked me somewhat. i still have my figures from my MRs for last year, as well as the accelerator numbers. we are not even close this year, it is almost twice what paid for the same trips, if not more.

i am a 1K currently but may only be able to hit Gold this year. :( i am not sure if they offer better accelerator pricing to the lower or higher Premiere members. looked at the "math" again, and yup, they are basing the cost on 2X or 3X what you paid for your original ticket. had i known this, i would have chosen a ticket $200 less than what i chose. :p

23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    But the CPM rate isn't changing; you're buying more miles on the higher rates.

24. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, there is a site bug that may be affecting some people's perceptions on pricing.

If you go into booking A and look at the RDM/PQM upsell prices, then go into a different reservation for the same purpose, it's possible the pricing is held over from one of your reservations earlier in the session but the number of miles is not. (This is not true if you actually go to purchase, when it seems to correct whatever was happening earlier.)

Logging out and back in isn't enough to fix it; either removing cookies or quitting and restarting your browser are.

25. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for that info. i will have to play around with it and see if my results are different.