current change fees as a 1K?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by auh2o, Mar 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. auh2o
    Original Member

auh2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are the current rules for changing a revenue ticket as a 1K? I recently changed the return portion of a RT ticket - domestic- to the same routing but just several hours later (after the outbound had been flown). I got hit with 2 $150 change fees on my credit card and I was not aware they were changing me. Do 1K's no longer get free same day changes? Been a a GS too long and never had it happen as a GS.

Thanks.

2. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why two $150 fees rather than one?

1K's haven't been exempt from change fees due to changes that were initiated by the passenger for years. However, if the delay is part of a formal waiver program, or a cancelation, delay or schedule change that orginated from United, I continue to find that I have a lot of flexibility.

3. hausrath
    Original Member

hausrath Active Member

Status Points:
    Same-day confirmed changes (if you call within 3 hours of the flight you want to take, on the same routing) are free for 1Ks.

If you called before 3 hours out, and a ticket re-issue was required, then you would be charged whatever the change fee for your fare was, plus fare difference. Not sure why you got charged twice - maybe the fare difference also happened to be exactly $150?

4. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I forgot about that, even though I tried to use it a few days ago. The ol' oxymoronic "confirmed standby".

5. auh2o
    Original Member

auh2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ugg. There were two tickets thus the $150X2. But I called about 7 hours out. Never, ever charged change fees as a GS. Lame.

6. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome back to earth. ;)